Report a pothole or damage to the road surface
If you wish to make a compensation claim
Compensation claims against Rochdale Borough Council must be made in writing and signed by the person making the claim or by a parent if the claimant is under 18. This is called a letter of claim and MUST include the basic information below.
Property or vehicle damage only claims
- Your name, address and a contact telephone number.
- Time, date, and exact location of the defect or incident using static landmarks, such as house numbers and road junctions, and your direction of travel.
- Outline of what happened, including a description of the defect or incident. For claims involving defects, please supply any photographs of the defect including the general area, this will be helpful in aiding to identify the precise incident location. Please confirm or deny any previous knowledge of the defect.
- Also outline the damage sustained, in what way was the damage caused, along with a full copy of the invoice for the repairs (or 2 estimates if the repairs haven't been carried out yet). Photographs of the damage may also be useful.
- If the damage involves a tyre that is relatively new then supply a copy of the original purchase invoice, otherwise a deduction for wear and tear may have to be made if we subsequently accept responsibility.
- If the claim involves a damaged alloy road wheel, this should be retained, if we do subsequently admit liability any settlement will be conditional on the surrender of the damaged wheel to the council.
- For vehicle related claims, a copy of the current MOT certificate must be supplied if the car is over 3 years old, including any advisory notice issued at the time of the test and a copy of the most recent service invoice/schedule. The latter is always required where mechanical damage is alleged to suspension or drive train components.
- Finally in your own words, why you hold Rochdale Borough Council responsible for the incident.
Personal injury claims
- The name, address, date of birth, national insurance number and a contact telephone number of the injured person.
- If the injured person is below 18, then their parent or guardian can write and sign the letter of claim on their behalf.
- Time, date, exact location of the defect alleged to have caused the injury using static landmarks and your direction of travel. You may find preparing a sketch plan to be of benefit.
- Outline of what happened, including a description of the defect. Please supply any photographs of the defect including the general area, this will be helpful to identify the precise incident location. Please confirm or deny any previous knowledge of the defect.
- Outline the injury sustained, including whether, and where, medical treatment was obtained.
- Finally in your own words why you hold Rochdale Borough Council responsible for the incident.
Alternatively you're free to seek independent legal advice from a solicitor who you may wish to instruct to act on your behalf.
Once we receive your claim, it's dealt with in exactly the same legally dictated manner whether you use a solicitor or not.
Address for all claims
Please ensure you
send a copy of your documents and not the originals as we're unable to return documents.
Email a copy of your claim to
firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to:
Number One Riverside
Rochdale OL16 1XU
Once we receive your letter of claim, we'll forward it to our external claim handlers and insurers who will respond in due course. Your information may also be passed onto our external brokers, insurance solicitors and barristers.
Find out how we use your personal information in our privacy notice.
Solicitors wishing to lodge claims against the council
Claims should be lodged through the Claims Portal.
Who are the insurers?
|Incidents between ||Contact
|1 August 2013 to 31 May 2014|
- Public and Employers Liability insurer: Travellers
- Claims to be submitted to: TopMark Claims Management
- Portal ID: D00073
|1 June 2014 to 31 May 2017|
- Public and Employers Liability insurer: Zurich Municipal
- Claims to be submitted to: Zurich Municipal
- Portal ID: C00108
|1 June 2017 onwards|
- Public and Employers Liability insurer: QBE
- Claims to be submitted to: Gallager Bassett
- Portal ID: D00019