Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Safeguarding adults at risk, adult abuse

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​All adults aged 18 years and over should be able to live free from fear and harm and have their rights and choices respected.

Some adults are less able to protect themselves than others, and some have difficulty making their wishes and feelings known. This may make them vulnerable to abuse.

Abuse may be:

  • Physical or sexual.
  • Involve people taking money without permission.
  • Not looking after someone properly.
  • Bullying or humiliating.
  • Not allowing contact with friends and family.

Abuse can be the result of a single act or may continue over months or years, abuse can be accidental, or a deliberate act.

Report abuse - what to do if you suspect abuse is happening

You may be concerned about adult abuse because someone has told you something. You may have seen or heard something that makes you feel uncomfortable or uneasy about the care of an adult.

We have a responsibility to take your concerns seriously; we will listen to you and help to stop the abuse. If you suspect someone is being abused report it.

  1. You will be asked for basic information about yourself, or about the person you are concerned about.
  2. We will ask what has happened to you or what you have been told, heard, seen or suspect.
  3. You will be asked to give your name so that you can be kept informed. Your name will not be shared without your permission.
Report abuse - email or ring 0300 303 8886

Who abuses adults?

Anyone can be an abuser – relatives, partners, people paid to provide care and services, volunteers, neighbours, friends or strangers.

Most abusers are people close to the adult, who are loved and trusted by them. However, some people will deliberately abuse adults they see as an easy target.

Where does abuse take place?

Abuse can occur anywhere: people can be abused at home, in care or nursing homes, day centres, or any place the adult should be safe.

Who else can help?

You can also contact:

  • Greater Manchester Police 0161 872 5050.
  • Emergency Social Work Team (out of hours) 0300 303 8875.
  • You could share your concerns with a doctor, nurse or health worker, housing officer; advice centre (CAB) and ask them to contact Social Services for you.

Nationally the Care Quality Commission monitors the quality of care provided by Nursing and Residential Homes.

​Information on safeguarding for professionals, adults and their families

Related pages


​​0300 303 8886

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.45pm.

Adult Care Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Local Government Chronicle awards winner

0300 303 8875

Out of hours emergencies
Monday 11am-11.30am
Monday-Friday 5.30pm-8.30am
Anytime weekends and bank holidays