Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Primary school places for children with Education, Health & Care Plan (formerly a Statement of Special Educational Needs)​

​If your child has a Education, Health & Care Plan (My Plan)/SEN, the process of starting primary school is different. We have to consult with your preferred school before it can be named on the Plan. Your child will not be disadvantaged in any way, it just means that our SEN Assessment Team has to follow different procedures.

What happens next?

The SEN Assessment Team Manager will review your application. We will then formally consult with the headteacher of your preferred school.

When will I know which school has been allocated?

The SEN Assessment Team will issue a draft EHC Plan to you on 16 December 2016. If you disagree with the proposal you may make written representations and/or request an appointment with your Named Officer. The final EHC Plan naming the allocated school will be issued by 15 February 2017.

Do I have a right of appeal?

You will be advised of your right of appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) and of the local Disagreement Resolution Service when the Final EHC Plan is issued. You can get further independent advice from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) on 01706 515741 or by email:

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

All children have different learning styles. Schools take account of this when they plan their work. A few pupils require special arrangements, sometimes just for a short time, sometimes for the whole of their school life. Pupils who need this extra help have special educational needs.

Schools work closely with parents / carers to ensure the special educational needs of children are addressed properly. You can request advice and support from a range of support services through the school SEN Co-ordinator. Parents / carers are encouraged to look at a number of primary schools b​efore making an application  and enquire how they meet the needs of young people with special educational needs.

Special schools

A small number of children with an Education, Health & Care Plan (My Plan) will benefit from going to a special school. In Rochdale the primary special schools are Springside School and Newlands School. You can state a preference for a special school but places are limited and will be allocated on a needs basis. So it's important that you express a preference for a second mainstream school. If you don't we may have to nominate a second preference for you.


01706 925981

SEN Assessment Team
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU