Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Secondary school places for children with Special Educational Needs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care Plan (My Plan), the process of transferring to secondary school is different. The Local Authority has to consult with your preferred school before it can be named on the Plan. Your child will not be disadvantaged in any way; it just means that the SEN Assessment Team of the Local Authority has to follow different procedures

​What happens after I apply?

​​The SEN Assessment Team Manager will review your application. The Local Authority will then formally consult with the Headteacher of your preferred school.

When will I know which school has been allocated?

The SEN Assessment Team will issue a draft EHC Plan to you by 15 January 2018. If you disagree with the proposal you may make written representations and/or request an appointment with your Named Officer. The final EHC Plan naming the allocated school will be issued by 15 February 2018.

Do I have a right of appeal?

You will be advised of your right of appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST) and of the local Disagreement Resolution Service when the Final EHC Plan is issued.

 Further independent advice can be obtained from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS). Call 01706 515741 or email

About Special Educational Needs (SEN)

All children have different learning styles. Schools take account of this when they plan their work. A few pupils require special arrangements, sometimes just for a short time, sometimes for the whole of their school life. Pupils who need this extra help have special educational needs.

Schools work closely with parents / carers to ensure the special educational needs of children are addressed appropriately.

In making provision for pupils with special educational needs, additional advice and support may be sought from a range of support services through the school SEN Co-ordinator.

Parents and young people are encouraged to look around a number of secondary schools and enquire how they meet the needs of young people with special educational needs.

Special Schools

A small number of children with an Education, Health & Care Plan (My Plan) will require provision to be made for them in a Special School. In Rochdale the Secondary Special Schools are Redwood Secondary School and the Brownhill Learning Community.

A preference can be made for a Special School but it is important to note that places are limited and will be allocated on a needs basis. It is important therefore that you express a preference for a second mainstream school.  Please note that the Local Authority may have to nominate a preference for you if you do not name an alternative mainstream school.​


01706 925981

SEN Assessment Team
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU