Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

In-year school transfers

​Transferring your child to a new school during the school year is known as an in-year school transfer.

There are a number of reasons why you might like your child to move schools during the year. For example, you're moving to a new area and your child's current school will be too far to travel to.

Apply for an in-year school transfer

To apply for an in-year school transfer:

  1. Complete the in-year transfer form below.​
  2. For a looked after child, you'll also need to complete the memorandum of understanding as well.
  3. Return the form to us using the details listed on the form.
  4. We'll try to process your application within 10 school days but this may take longer in busy periods.
In-year school t​ransfer form (1.9MB pdf).Memorandum of understanding for looked after children (56kb pdf)

Fair Access Protocol

You can read our Fair Access Protocol for primary school and secondary school below.

We'll use the protocol if we haven't been able to offer a child a school place after they applied for an in-year school transfer.


0300 303 0340

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-4.45pm.

Early Help and Schools​
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU