Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Home education

​​​​​Parents must arrange an education that suits the age, ability and needs of their child. You can do this by sending your child to school or by choosing to educate your child at home.

If you have children of school age, you must ensure that they receive education. School age is:

  • From the start date of a school term following a child's 5th birthday
  • To the last Friday in June in the year when the child's 16th birthday is before 1 September.

For more information visit our school term dates page

Home learning

Home learning helps support what your child learns in nursery or school. Daily life and routines offer many learning opportunities with no need for special training.

Getting permission to educate at home

If your child has never been to school, you don't need to tell anyone or ask anyone's permission to educate them at home.

If you are removing a child from school to home educate them, you must let the school know and they will pass this information on to us.

If your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) and attends a specialist school, you'll need to get permission from us to educate them at home. It remains our responsibility in this case to make sure your child's needs are met and to review their needs annually. You can contact us using the details on this page.

What should you teach your child when they're home educated?

You don't have to be a qualified teacher to educate your child at home, and you don't have to follow the National Curriculum or a set timetable. If you want to follow the National Curriculum you can find information by  visiting the GOV.UK website.

If you think you might want your child to go to school in future, it may be in their best interests for you to teach them the core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science and ICT.

If you want your child to sit an examination, there are a number of distance learning organisations that can provide all the work and preparation for the exam, but you will need to find an examination centre that will allow your child to sit an exam as an external candidate.

If you want your child to go to school

If you decide that your child should go to school, you need to let us know that you no longer wish to educate your child at home and apply for a school place

You can contact us using the details on this page. We can give you information on which schools may have available places.

Get help with home education

We have an Elective Home Education (EHE) team who can help you make decisions about home educating your child.

Contact detailsWhat we can do

​Elective Home Education (EHE) Teacher Consultant

  • 01706 925290
​A trained and experienced teacher who can provide you with support and guidance in all matters relating to EHE. 

​Education Welfare Officers

​We are duty bound to make arrangements for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.

​EHE Co-ordinators and Fair Access Support Officers

​A first point of contact if you want additional information relating to EHE or advice if you're considering sending your child to school after being home educated. The officers can talk you through the process and support you along the way.  

Related pages


01706 925142

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.45pm.

Elective Home Education
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU