Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for building regulations

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Before applying, ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​you should check if you​r work requires building regulations approval as not all work does requires it. If you don't need it, you may still need planning permission.

​​H​ow to apply for building regulations approval

The quickest way is to apply by phone. We'll tell you what type of application to make, complete your application form, work out the fee and take a payment. We'll also explain if you need to send us plans. ​​​​​​​​​​Before ringing us, you'll need​ the following information:​

  • Your name, address, telephone number and email address.
  • Name, address and telephone number of your architect, builder or structural engineer.
  • Location of the site.
  • Description of the proposed or completed work​.

Once we've received your payment, we'll send you an email acknowledgement with the application number and details.

Apply for building regulations approval 01706 924327

Alternatively you can apply in the following ways:

What plans do I need to submit with my application? 

You should send us a pdf version of any plans​ to scale. If you need someone to draw up plans, you can use one of our building control partners.​​

Full plans submission (new domestic or commercial work​​)

You'll need to provide the following with your application:

  • 1 electronic or 2 paper copies of drawings for the proposed work showing full details of construction and materials to be used, drawn at a scale of 1:50 and not less than 1:100. Drawings should include plans, section and elevations of the work as existing and as proposed.
  • A site location plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250 indicating site boundaries.

We'll then check the application to ensure it complies with relevant legislation. You'll need to pay a further fee to cover our inspections when the work starts. 

Building notice (domestic work on minor internal alterations​​)

You'll need to provide a site location plan to a scale of not less than 1:1250.

​​​​Regularisation certificate (work completed or started without prior approval)

If you've already carried out work without approval, you'll need to submit a regularisation application to prove you've complied with the regulations at the time of the work.


For all building regulation related charges (fees for Full Plan applications, Building Notices and applications for Regularisation Certificates), please contact us by emailing​ or by calling 01706 924324.

Scheme of charges

Our scheme of charges sets out what services we charge for, how we determine the fees and who is exempt from payment.

Our scheme of charges for building regulations (286kb pdf)

Discretionary fees

Discretionary fees 2020 (125kb pdf)

​​When can I start wo​rk?

We strongly recommend you obtain full approval before starting work. You're legally entitled to start work 48 hours after we've accepted your application. Builders are expected ​to have a detailed understanding of the building regulations.

If you start work prior to us approving your application and your building work doesn't comply with the regulations you'll be required to make changes.​


01706 924327

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.

Emergency: Out of office hours

Building Control
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

Decision and completion notices

Copy decision notices cost £45 each, copy completion certificates cost £60 each. 

Email to request a copy and ring us to pay.

We'll supply a copy of the notice when we receive your payment.

Tell us what you think of our service

To leave feedback on our service please email