Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for householder planning permission

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Find out if you need planning permission, how to apply or get advice.

Changes to what you need to apply for planning permission

We're proposing some changes to the information you need to give us when you apply for planning permission. The list of documents you need to send us when you apply is called the local list. If you've any comments or feedback on the changes we're proposing to the local list, we'd love to hear them.

You can tell us what you think through the consultation which is open from 9am on Monday, 3 August 2020 - 5pm on Monday, 14 September 2020.

Check if you need planning permission

Not all work will require planning permission. The owner of the property or land is responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules.

Apply for planning permission

You need to apply for planning permission through the Planning Portal.

Apply for planning permission on the Planning Portal​​

Get advice before you apply for planning permission

If you'd like some advice or help with your application, you can contact us before you apply.

Site visits for planning permission applications

If a site visit is required:

  • We'll ask you if anyone on the site has tested positive for COVID-19, has symptoms or is self-isolating. If this is the case, we won't visit.
  • We'll contact you or your agent to let you know what day we'll visit your site. Unfortunately, we can't give you a specific time as our planning officers visit several sites every day.
  • Please stay indoors during the site visit but leave any gates unlocked so the planning officer has full external access without having to knock on your door. If you live in a terraced house, the officer will, if possible, gain access from the rear.
  • Please don't talk to the planning officer during your site visit unless it's essential. If it is essential, you should follow social distancing guidelines at all times.

Extend the construction hours on your planning permission

If we've granted you planning permission for developing on land, it's possible to make changes to the existing agreed construction hours.

Please email us to request the extension. Use the subject 'extension to construction working hours' and include:

  • The planning permission your request relates to and what the existing construction working hours are.
  • Your proposed revised construction working hours and the dates the revised hours should start and end. You can't request for the extension to last past 1 April 2021.
  • A short explanation about why extended hours are necessary to enable safe working practices on site.
  • A list of the primary construction activities expected to take place during the extended working hours, including plant and equipment to be used.
  • An assessment of the likely noise levels and who this may impact, for example nearby houses, hospitals or care homes.
Email to extend the construction hours on your planning permission

What to do if you don't need planning permission

You can apply for a certificate which is a legally binding document that protects all parties and can be relied upon when conducting property searches. There are 2 types of certificates:

  • Lawful Development C​ertificate (proposed) - confirms whether or not your proposal requires planning permission. 
  • Lawful Development Certificate (existing)  - confirms​  whether or not planning permission was required for work which has taken place.

Apply for a Lawful Development Certifica​​te


0300 303 8873

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Planning and Development
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU

RTPI Awards for Planning Excellence