Find out if you need planning permission, how to apply or get advice.
Before you apply for business planning permission
You can make certain types of minor changes without planning permission. The legislation can be very complicated. In some cases, you may also require building regulation approval.
If you'd like some advice or help with your application, you can contact us before you apply. We can advise you on what information you'll need to provide for us to validate your application, plans and drawings.
Apply for business planning permission
You can make applications for:
Full planning permission by submitting detailed plans.
Outline planning permission to establish the principle of the development. This allows you to provide more detailed information later in the planning process.
Please use the relevant checklist to ensure your planning application is complete prior to submitting it. Any application which does not provide all the required details cannot be processed.
Extend the construction hours on your planning permission
If we've granted you planning permission for developing on land, it's possible to make changes to the existing agreed construction hours.
Please email us to request the extension. Use the subject 'extension to construction working hours' and include:
- The planning permission your request relates to and what the existing construction working hours are.
- Your proposed revised construction working hours and the dates the revised hours should start and end. You can't request for the extension to last past 1 April 2021.
- A short explanation about why extended hours are necessary to enable safe working practices on site.
- A list of the primary construction activities expected to take place during the extended working hours, including plant and equipment to be used.
- An assessment of the likely noise levels and who this may impact, for example nearby houses, hospitals or care homes.
Site visits for planning permission applications
If a site visit is required:
- We'll ask you if anyone on the site has tested positive for COVID-19, has symptoms or is self-isolating. If this is the case, we won't visit.
- We'll contact you or your agent to let you know what day we'll visit your site. Unfortunately, we can't give you a specific time as our planning officers visit several sites every day.
- Please stay indoors during the site visit but leave any gates unlocked so the planning officer has full external access without having to knock on your door. If you live in a terraced house, the officer will, if possible, gain access from the rear.
- Please don't talk to the planning officer during your site visit unless it's essential. If it is essential, you should follow social distancing guidelines at all times.
Help with full planning applications
Paying planning permission fees
Ring us on 0300 303 8873 to make a planning application payment, you'll need to give the address of the property the fees relate to. You can pay by Visa, Mastercard, Solo, Visa Delta, Visa Electron and Maestro. Credit card payments will include a 1.75% administration charge.