Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply to demolish a building

​​If the building you want to demolish is over 50 cubic metres you must submit a Section 80 Notice to us.  You'll also need to send us a location plan showing the building and adjoining streets.

Please submit your application 6 weeks before you intend to start work so we can assess and decide on any conditions which we may impose on the demolition work. The application fee is £180.

Apply for Section 80 demolition (171kb pdf)​​​

Next steps after you've applied: Once you've submitted your application we'll consult with utility companies and adjoining owners and occupiers. After consultation we'll send you a Section 81 notice detailing our requirements about the demolition. You'll need to contact utility companies to stop their services supplying the building.

Demolishing a building and not redeveloping at the same time

If you're demolishing a building and not redeveloping at the same time you must apply for planning permission and display a site notice.  

You must also prove to us you've displayed the site notice for 21 days out of the 28 day determination period; you can send this as a photo or a copy of the notice, including written confirmation of the date it was displayed on site. The following forms and help:

  • Planning permission for demolition.
  • Planning permission to demolish in a conservation area.
  • Demolition site notice.

Can be found on planning application forms, checklists, help and guidance.

Listed buildings

If you are proposing to make alterations to a listed building you'll need listed building consent.


01706 924327

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm.

Emergency: Out of office hours

Building Control
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU