To help you with your planning application you can contact us for pre-application advice which in many cases will result in you submitting a valid application which meets council policies and receiving a quicker decision.
Certain types of pre-application advice are chargeable. These apply to most types of planning enquiry but some smaller proposals will be exempt from these charges.
Contact us for pre-application discussions
If you need to get in touch with us about pre-application discussions please submit details of your proposals and make the relevant payment. Once we've validated your enquiry we'll notify you of the officer dealing with your enquiry.
To submit your pre-application enquiry you'll need to
- Complete the Request for pre-application advice form below including details of the proposed works, a site location plan, photographs and drawings of your proposal. Please provide as much information as you can to help us provide the best possible advice to you at first point of contact.
- Call 0300 303 8873 to make your payment.
In ensuring your application is valid we may need to request further information before finalising our response.
Charges for pre-application discussions
|Type of enquiry||Charge from|
1 April 2018
House extensions or alterations
'Do you need permission' advice freely available on the web and Planning Portal.
Recommend submission of a Lawful Development Certificate.
|Verbal advice – no charge.|
Listed building and consents
Pre-application advice for these types of application is exempt from charges.
House extensions or alterations
Request for a site visit or confirmation letter.
|£101 including VAT|
- Less than 3 residential units.
- All non-residential development with a gross floor space less than 500 square metres, or on sites less than 0.5 hectares.
- Change of use of buildings with a floor space of less than 500 square metres, or on sites less than 0.5 hectares.
- Single wind turbine/telecoms mast with height less than 17 metres.
|£420 including VAT|
Minor changes of use
- Where less than 200 square metres of floor space.
|£158 including VAT|
Minor Development (complex)
Note: these will involve additional officer/consultee input
- Development comprising between 3 and 9 residential units.
- Non-residential development comprising between 500 square metres and 1,000 square metres, or on sites between 0.5 hectares and 1 hectare in site area.
- Change of use of buildings with a floor space between 500 square metres and 1,000 square metres, or on sites between 0.5 hectares and 1 hectare.
- Single wind turbine/telecoms mast with mast height exceeding 15 metres.
|£583 including VAT|
- More than 10 residential units.
- Residential development on a site exceeding 0.5 hectares.
- The provision of building(s) exceeding 1,000 square metres gross floor space.
- Non residential development/other operations of a site having an area of 1 hectare or more.
- Development involving more than 2 wind turbines.
- Development requiring Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Minerals and applications involving waste.
|£835 including VAT|
Major development (complex)
- More than 50 residential units.
- Non residential development/other operations of a sire having an area of 2 hectares or more.
|£1,500 including VAT|
Drainage for major developments
Sustainable Drainage pre-application standing advice (479kb pdf) relates to the requirement for Sustainable Drainage Systems to be considered when determining applications for major development and includes advice on the drainage hierarchies and a validation checklist.
Archaeological advice to applicants and consultants (249kb pdf) information on how to obtain pre-application advice from the Greater Manchester Archaeological Advisory Service if there are, or you suspect there might be, archaeological interests on a development site.