Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Report a bonfire, smoke problems and air pollution

You can tell us about problems with bonfires, chimney smoke, smoke problems and air pollution.

Report a bonfire

Bonfires at private residential properties are permitted so long as the smoke fumes don’t affect public highways or people living or working nearby. If there's a problem with a bonfire:

Emergencies ring 999: if a bonfire is out of control or built in a dangerous location, contact the Fire Service immediately.

Non emergencies: use the form below to report bonfires on public land. If smoke from a bonfire is affecting you, please first discuss the problem with the person responsible. If this doesn’t resolve the matter, then report it to us.

Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) non emergencies: for any bonfires on RBH land, please report them to RBH directly.

Report a bonfire problem (opens in a new window)

Report chimney smoke

It's an offence to emit smoke from a chimney in a smoke control area unless you're burning an authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance, such as a wood burning stove. View list of authorised fuels and exempt appliances

If you report chimney smoke, we'll investigate to find out whether the law is being broken and not simply whether smoke is being emitted.

Smoke control areas in the borough: most of the borough is a smoke control area, except for Red Lumb, Lanehead and the moorlands around Littleborough and Milnrow.

Report a problem with chimney smoke (opens in a new window)

Report smoke problems and air pollution

You can report smoke problems and air pollution to us using the form below.

We'll investigate your report and we may visit you and the source of the problem. In some cases, we may also take formal action against those responsible for air pollution.

Report smoke problems and air pollution (opens in a new window)

What bonfires, smoke and air pollution should you report to us?

You can report a one off incident or continuous problems with any of the following:

  • Large bonfires
  • Regularly having bonfires on a weekly basis
  • Burning household waste, plastics, rubber or painted materials
  • Dust and grit from construction sites
  • Smells from bonfires or commercial premises
  • Ash falling onto your house, garden or the road
  • Smoke from a bonfire blocking view of the road
  • Dark smoke coming from bonfires or buildings 

What bonfires, smoke and air pollution shouldn't you report?

We don't consider the following as antisocial bonfires or problems with smoke and air pollution:

  • A small, one-off bonfire
  • Burning garden waste in small amounts without much smoke
  • Organised bonfires on bonfire night
  • Smoke from barbecues
  • Smoke from cigarettes
  • Smells from people cooking


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU