Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Parking FAQs

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​How do I pay my parking fine?

We accept payments online, by automated telephone and by post. Pay your parking fine now.

How do I appeal a parking fine?​

You'll need to make an appeal in writing. Find out how to appeal a parking fine​.

How do I qualify for the discount?

As long as you pay within 14 days from the date the Penalty Charge Notice was issued.

Can I pay in instalments?

Once the discount period has expired a payment plan may be considered if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit.

Can I pay at the discounted rate to stop the charge progressing and then still appeal?

No. Once you've paid, you accept liability and the case is closed.

I thought I could park in a loading bay for the allowed time of 20 minutes?

Loading areas are there to enable delivery vehicles to operate without holding up traffic. We don't limit the time you may spend in a loading bay as long as you're constantly loading or unloading.

What is meant by loading and unloading?

The term loading and unloading is strictly reserved for large, bulky articles which can't be physically carried a great distance. Shopping or depositing cash doesn't count as loading or unloading.

I didn't park on the double yellow lines. I parked on the footpath behind them

A yellow line restriction runs from the centre of the road to the end of the carriageway or highway. This is usually the building or property line although it is not always the case.

Why do I have to pay for parking?

Parking fees pay towards maintaining the car park. The different costs and time limits help to make sure that there is an adequate turnover of parking spaces to allow customers to ‘stop and shop’.

My meeting or doctor's appointment over ran

It's your own responsibility to make sure you buy enough parking time to cover the time of your stay.

I was only just over the bay markings when I parked. Do I still have to pay?

Bay markings are there to ensure safety and prevent inconvenience to other users of the car park. When vehicles are parked over the bay markings valuable parking space is lost and also access could be restricted for emergency vehicles.

I'm new to the area and didn't know about the restriction

It's your responsibility to make sure you know what the parking restrictions are before you park your vehicle.

My blue badge fell to the floor when I closed the car door

When blue badges are not displayed and sent to us later, it leaves the scheme open to abuse. Please make sure that all badge holders display their badges correctly. Because we are trying to reduce blue badge abuse it's unlikely that we'll cancel a notice issued for this reason.

I wasn't the driver, am I still liable?

Under the Traffic Management Act 2004, the registered owner or keeper of the vehicle is liable for any Penalty Charge Notices unless there is a signed hire agreement in place or the vehicle has been taken without consent. In these cases we need a police crime reference number.

I sold the vehicle but don't know the name and address of who I sold it to

When you sell or dispose of a vehicle you have a legal obligation to inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA). We need written confirmation from (DVLA)​​ that you were not the registered owner or keeper of the vehicle at the time the contravention occurred if we are to redirect the notice. If you don't provide this information you may be liable for the charge.

What happens if I ignore the Penalty Charge Notice?

Please don't ignore it. The notice could end up being registered as a civil debt at the county court. If this happens, bailiff action could be taken.

How do we spend the money generated from civil parking enforcement?

The law says that civil parking enforcement must be self-financing. Any surplus, after the cost of administration and enforcement, is used for improving local transport. This includes parking, traffic management, better public transport and facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.

Where can I get copies of the legislation?

The procedures for issuing Penalty Charge Notices are contained in the Traffic Management Act 2004.

How do I report a problematic parking area?

Contact us and tell us what the problem is, where and when it happens.



Parking Services
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU.​