Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for dropped kerbs and vehicle access

Please read all the information on this page before applying for dropped kerbs and vehicle access. 

How to apply

If you wish to amend an existing dropped kerb, please ring us for a quote as the prices can vary.

Please follow this process if you wish to apply for a new dropped kerb and vehicle access.

  1. Decide on whether you require a single or double vehicle width crossing.
  2. Check the considerations and legal requirements listed on the page.
  3. If you've met all the criteria and you wish to proceed please ring us to apply.
  4.  We'll check the viability of the proposal. If there are no problems we'll notify you and programme the work with our contractor. The work is usually completed within 90 days. If we have any questions we'll contact you within 20 working days.
  5. Once we start the work it usually takes up to 7 days to complete.
  6. To ensure all dropped kerbs are properly constructed we only use approved contractors. 

Ring 0300 303 8879 to apply

How much does it cost?

Prices are worked out individually. We'll look at the details of your application then give you a quote.

In some circumstances final costs may change if any street furniture will require moving as part of this construction. We'll will advise you of any additional costs before you make payment.  

Potential considerations including legal requirements

Planning permission: this isn't usually required for such work but will be required if:

  • The property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road.
  • The property involved is a listed building.
  • The property involved is anything other than a house for a single family such as a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises.

If you think your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required, you should get in touch using the contact details on this page. We'll inform you if you do need planning permission and what to do next.

If you decide to go ahead with the construction, you must remove any fences, walls or hedges within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before we can begin construction.

Permitted types of vehicles: you can only use a domestic vehicle crossing for a private light goods or similar vehicle. You can't use it for heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment.

If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, you will be responsible for any repairs. 

Shared access: where you and your neighbour share a driveway and wish to build a double width crossing to serve both your properties, one of you should act for both parties. 

2 crossings at the same property: you can have 2 crossings to the same property as long as the minimum width of 2 metres is kept between them.

Parking within your property: we won't be able to approve your application unless you're able to provide a suitable parking area within your property. This must be at least 4.8 metres long, measured from the front of the house to the boundary of your property. There must be enough space around this area for pedestrian access.

No part of a vehicle parked within your property may project on to or over the highway. The crossing may not be used as a parking area and no part of it is exempted for the purpose of footway parking.

Hardstandings: where you're intending to use gravel or a similar loose material for your hardstanding, you should consider the problem of some being carried on to the highway by the movement of vehicles. This is especially true where the surface comes up to the boundary.

Where material of this type is used, concrete or blacktop should be laid in a 500mm strip from the boundary to the start of the gravelled area. This will help to reduce any problem.

If the material is carried onto the highway, it will be your responsibility to remove it.

Drainage: you must build the parking area within your property so water does not drain from it and lead across the footway. You must provide suitable drainage within the boundaries of your property.

Standard finish: the standard finish to crossings is blacktop. Where a service strip exists, non-standard finish such as block paving may be permitted. Excessively bright colours or mixed finishers will not be permitted.

If at a later date, after we accept the crossing, reinstatement work or changes in the road layout take place, we'll try to match the finish, colour or shape of the blocks but  we cannot guarantee this. 

Street furniture: where you've removed more of the wall or fence running along the boundary than is required by the size of the crossing, we may install an item of street furniture in the footway outside the area of the crossing. This is the case even if it obstructs an area where there's no wall or similar feature. Street furniture can include: a lamp post, telegraph pole or traffic sign.

Obstacles to construction: if the proposed position of the access is obstructed by a road sign, lamp post, tree or other obstacle, you'll either need to move your proposed access to avoid the obstacle or pay us to have it moved. We'll investigate this on an individual basis and advise you of any costs.

If a statutory authority is required to carry out work by relocating a fire hydrant or telegraph pole for example, any charges for such work will be your responsibility. Before we can build the crossing you'll be required to produce written proof of approval by the relevant authority such as a utility company.

Safety: any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. You must ensure that safe access to your property is maintained. .

Gates across vehicle entrance: gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway, as per Section 153 of the Highways Act 1980.

Alterations to your dropped kerbs and vehicle access: we may need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossing at any time due to modifications to the footway or verge. We'll make every effort to maintain access to your property and give adequate notice of such works to the occupiers of any affected premises.

Length of crossing: crossings up to 9 metres may be built where there's sufficient space to leave a continuous length of 2 metres of unused space at the kerb line.


0300 303 8879

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Highways and Engineering Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU