Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply for dropped kerbs and vehicle access

How to apply

Please read all the information below before applying for dropped kerbs and vehicle access.

You'll need to send us an email and include:

  • Your full name and address including the postcode.
  • A day time contact telephone number.
  • In the subject line state 'Request for vehicle access or pedestrian dropped crossing'.

Email your application to   

How much does it cost?

Applications to have a vehicle dropped crossing over the footway are investigated and priced individually.

The prices listed below are, therefore, not a standard charge but can be taken as a general guide for a crossing constructed with a bituminous macadam surfacing. If is should be necessary to divert services or street furniture the resident will be responsible for paying this cost in full.

Details Charges 2017/2018
Up to 0.9 metres wide (1 kerb)


Up to 1.8 metres wide (2 kerb)


Up to 2.7 metres wide (3 kerb)


Up to 3.6 metres wide (4 kerb)


Up to 4.5 metres wide (5 kerb)


Up to 5.4 metres wide (6 kerb)


Up to 6.3 metres wide (7 kerb)


What happens next?

  1. Once we've received your application, we'll check the viability of the proposal and provide you with a written quotation for the construction, or we'll contact you about any problems with the proposal.
  2. You'll then be expected to pay in full before work commences.
  3. Work will usually commence within 60 days of receiving payment.
  4. To ensure that vehicle crossings are properly constructed, all domestic vehicle crossings will be built by contractors approved by our Highways and Engineering Service.

Potential legal considerations

Planning permission is not usually required for such work, but will be if:

  • The property involved has the frontage directly on to a classified road.
  • The property involved is a listed building.
  • The property involved is anything other than a house for a single family such as a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises.

If it appears that your property comes within one of the above classifications and planning permission is required, you should get in touch using the contact details on this page. 

If you decide to go ahead with the construction, you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossing will be located before construction can take place.

Things to consider before applying

The following is a list of conditions relevant to the construction of a domestic vehicle crossing and the use of it once construction is finished:

Permitted types of vehicles: A domestic vehicle crossing may only be used by a private light goods or similar vehicle. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment.

If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property, and in doing so the delivery damages the crossing, any repairs will be the responsibility of the occupier.

Size of the crossing: The width of a standard crossing is 2.5 m at the back of the public footway. This increases to about 4.7 m at the kerbline. Crossings up to twice that width or 2 separate crossings may be built where there's sufficient space to leave a continuous length of 2 m of unused space at the kerbline. A crossing that covers the full frontage may not be permitted.

Shared access: Where the occupiers of 2 adjoining properties share a driveway and wish to build a double width crossing to serve both sites, 1 occupier should act on behalf of both parties.

2 crossings at the same property: Where a request is made for 2 crossings to serve a property and the space available means that the area between them is at or close to the minimum limits of 2 m in width, a decision will have to be made as to the shape of the crossing. Where there's an existing crossing it may mean that this also will have to be modified.

Parking within your property: Your application will not be approved unless you are able to provide a suitable parking area within your property. This must be at least 4.8 m long, measured from the front of the house to the boundary of your property and 2.5 m wide. There must be enough space around this area for pedestrian access. These conditions may not apply if the width of your property is more than 8 m.

There may be instances where the above criteria are not met. In such cases approval may be given subject to a site inspection by a highway inspector. The highway inspectors decision as to whether the application will be approved or refused is final.

No part of a vehicle parked within your property may project on to or over the highway. The crossing may not be used as a parking area and no part of it is exempted for the purpose of footway parking.

Hardstandings: Where you are intending to use gravel or a similar loose material for your hardstanding, you should consider the problem of some being carried on to the highway by the movement of vehicles. This is especially true where the surface comes up to the boundary.

Where material of this type is used, concrete or blacktop should be laid in a 500 mm strip from the boundary to the start of the gravelled area. This will help to reduce any problem.

If the material is carried onto the highway it will be the responsibility of the occupier to remove it.

Drainage: The parking area within your property must be built so that water does not drain from it across the footway. Suitable drainage must be provided within the boundaries of your property.

Standard finish: The standard finish to crossings is blacktop. Where a service strip exists, non-standard finish such as block paving may be permitted. Excessively bright colours or mixed finishers will not be permitted.

If at a later date after we accept the crossing, reinstatement work or changes in the road layout take place, we will try our utmost to match the finish, colour or shape of the blocks, but this cannot be guaranteed.

Street furniture: Where applicants have removed more of the wall or fence running along the boundary than is required by the size of the crossing, it should be understood that an item of street furniture such as a lamp post, telegraph pole or traffic sign may be erected at any time in the footway outside the area of a crossing, even though this may obstruct an area where there is no wall or similar feature.

Obstacles to construction: If the proposed position of the access is obstructed by a road sign, lamp post, tree or other obstacle, the location should be altered to avoid such impediments. If this isn't feasible, a decision will have to be made by the relevant section as to whether the item should be removed or relocated.

If a statutory authority is required to carry out work by relocating a fire hydrant or telegraph pole for example, any charges for such work will be the responsibility of the applicant. The applicant will be required to produce written proof of approval by the authority to Highways and Engineering before the crossing can be built.

If an applicant wishes the crossing to be placed in a location that requires the relocation of a lamp post or similar item they will be required to pay the full cost of relocation. A separate quotation will be given for this part of the work.

Safety: Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. The applicant must ensure that adequate sight lines are maintained to allow safe access to their property.

Gates across vehicle entrance: Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway, as per Section 153 of the Highways Act 1980.

Alterations to your dropped kerbs and vehicle access

We may need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossing at any time due to modifications to the footway or verge. Every effort will be made to maintain access to your property and the occupier of the premises affected will be given adequate notice of such works.

Related pages


0300 303 8879

Highways and Engineering Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU ​