Parents of children who are due to start primary or secondary school in September 2020 can apply for their child's school place from Monday, 2 September 2019.
Children born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016 are due to start school for the first time in September 2020. Applying for your child's school place couldn't be quicker or easier thanks to
our secure online application system.
'I know parents are eager for this moment, so it is vital they submit their applications by the deadline'
Councillor Kieran Heakin, cabinet member for children's services, said: "School applications are a hugely exciting moment for parents as their child grows and flourishes. I know parents are eager for this moment, so it is vital they submit their applications by the deadline. I would really encourage people to use all 4 preferences; putting only one preference will not guarantee a place at that school."
You can use your smartphone, PC or tablet and the system is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience. Changes can be made to applications until the deadline. You can also track progress, meaning you don't have to wait for the letter to drop through the door and instant updates and notifications will be sent via email.
'4 school preferences should always be given'
Applicants should be aware that:
- 4 school preferences should always be given as allocations are based on demand and the number of places available.
- The chances of obtaining a place at any school does not increase if you only select one preference or choose the same school 4 times.
- If only one preference is stated and it cannot be offered, we'll allocate a place for your child at the next nearest school with spaces available.
- Preferences as less likely to be met if applications are received after the closing date, so please submit your school application before the closing dates:
- Secondary school admissions before Thursday, 31 October 2019.
- Primary school applications before Wednesday, 15 January 2020.
Our online system is easy to use, but if you need assistance, our helpful library staff will be on hand to help across the borough. Alternatively, you can call 0300 303 0340 with any questions.