Skip to main content Skip to accessibility

Rochdale Borough Council leader condemns Westminster terror attack

23 March 2017

• Councillor Richard Farnell, Leader of Rochdale Borough Council.

The leader of Rochdale Borough Council Richard Farnell has condemned Wednesday’s (23 March 2017) terrorist attack at Westminster which left members of the public and a police officer dead and many others injured.

Councillor Farnell said: “This was a senseless and cowardly act at the heart of our democracy and my thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those who so tragically lost their lives.

"This terrible attack will only strengthen our resolve to defeat terrorism, hate and evil. We must stand together, regardless of race, nationality or religion, to combat the perpetrators of these sickening and cowardly acts.

“I would like to praise the emergency services for their dedicated and selfless work and their rapid response to the incident. They run towards the danger and we should never forget the risks they take to help make our cities, towns and streets safer.

“Yesterday we saw an attempt to destroy the bonds of solidarity, tolerance and free speech with the forces of hate. These hateful attacks will not succeed and we will stand shoulder to shoulder, across our communities, in ensuring they are defeated.”

Councillor Farnell said council flags had been lowered across the borough and council staff joined the national minute’s silence at 9.33am this morning to pay their respects.

Share: