A bumper, almost £0.5 million road resurfacing scheme has started this week, Monday, 31 July 2017.
The £440,000 project, the biggest highways scheme of 2017/18, will resurface Yorkshire Street and Halifax Road in central Rochdale between Townhead Junction and Entwisle Road, improving the condition of the road.
Work on the stretch of road, which is one of the busiest routes in the Rochdale borough, will also increase safety by improving skid resistance.
All businesses will remain open as usual.
Work will improve road condition and boost safety
During the works, which will start on Monday 31 July 2017 and last around 5 weeks, drivers travelling from Littleborough to Rochdale, will be diverted around Entwisle Road and John Street, while motorists travelling in the opposite direction will drive their usual route.
During week 4, lanes will be closed in both directions overnight between 7pm and 3am. Side streets along Halifax Road may also be closed from time to time, but access will be maintained for residents. All diversions will be clearly signposted and all walkways will remain open.
'We will be spending more than £3m on road maintenance schemes in 2017/18' - Councillor Neil Emmott
Councillor Neil Emmott, Cabinet member for housing and environment at the council, said:
"Having well maintained roads, which meet the strictest safety standards, is a top priority for this council because we know how important it is for our residents.
"This year alone, we will be spending more than £3 million on road maintenance schemes, with other major projects, including the resurfacing of Queensway and parts of Rochdale Road East near Springfield Park, also on the cards for the near future."
The latest project is a further boost to the borough's roads network, with the latest figures revealing that complaints about potholes have fallen by more than half from 2,475 in 2015/16 to 1,223 in 2016/17. The fall in complaints coincides with the council topping up the pothole repair fund by £1 million in 2016/17 and a further £2 million in 2017/18.
Roadworks contains more information about roadworks across the Rochdale borough.
The other 8 major road resurfacing schemes taking place in the Rochdale borough are:
- Queensway, Rochdale Township - from Dicken Green Lane to Kingsway
- Rochdale Road East section 1, Heywood Township - from Orchard Street to Crimble Lane
- Rochdale Road East section 2, Heywood Township - short section close to Springfield Park
- A627 (M), Rochdale Township - section at the junction of Edinburgh Way and Sandbrook Way
- Hollin Lane, Middleton Township - Langley Lane to Oaken Bank Road
- Middleton Road, Heywood Township - Coronation Avenue to Middleton Road
- Albert Royd Street, Pennines Township - Improvements to anti-skid surfacing around pedestrian crossings
- Windermere Road, Middleton Township - continuation of existing scheme