Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Caravan site licence

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 prohibits the use of land as a caravan site unless the occupier holds a site licence issued by the local authority.   

Certain activities may not need a licence such as:

  • A caravan sited with the curtilage of a dwelling and its use is incidental to the dwelling. This means it cannot be occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation (such as a caravan club) and which are for members only.
  • Some sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually travellers sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.

Conditions will be attached to any licence.

Eligibility criteria

The application site must have or be in the process of getting Planning consent for this use.

Regulations summary

Licences have conditions which include:

  • The type of caravan, for example residential, static holiday or touring.
  • The permitted density (the number per acre/hectare) and the spacing between caravans.
  • Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.

If you are a caravan site occupier - you should have a licence already but you should check that your name, the site name and address is correct and up to date. Also check that the licence corresponds with your planning permission. If not, you should send us the licence for re-issue.

If you have recently become a caravan site occupier - licences are transferable to a new occupier but the law requires us to give consent for the transfer. You should send us the licence with a request for transfer and we will either endorse or re-issue it.

If you are a potential site occupier - you or your legal advisor should check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission and that the details correspond with the site licence. If you wish to change the use of the land to a permanent caravan site use you must have planning permission before a licence can be issued.

Application evaluation process

When an application is made it will be deemed to be made unconditionally unless we give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

​Apply for a licence

To apply for a licence contact the Public ​Protection service.

Failed application redress

Please contact us (Environmental Health) in the first instance. If an applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first ins​tance. A licence holder may appeal against a condition attached to a licence to their local Magistrates' court.​


0300 303 8871

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU ​