Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Premises licence - Licenced premises

​​​T​​o provide late-night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol, you need a licence from the local authority if you are in England and Wales.

To provide late-night refreshments, regulated entertainment and to sell alcohol in a premises in Rochdale Borough, you need a premises licence from Rochdale Borough Council.

What is regulated entertainment?

  • Performance of a play.
  • An exhibition of a film.
  • An indoor sporting event.
  • A boxing or wrestling entertainment (indoors or outdoors).
  • Performance of live music.
  • Performance of dance.
  • Any playing of recorded music.

What is late night refreshment?

Late night refreshment is hot food and drink supplied to members of the public, for consumption on or off the premises, between the hours of 11pm and 5am.

Eligibility criteria

Any of the following may apply for a premises licence:

  • Anyone who uses carries on a business in the premises to which the application relates.
  • A recognised club.
  • A charity.
  • A health service body.
  • A person who is registered under the Care Standards Act 2000 in relation to an independent hospital.
  • A chief police officer of a force in England and Wales.
  • Anyone discharging a statutory or function under Her Majesty's prerogative.
  • A person from an educational institute.
  • Any other permitted person.
  • Applicants must not be under 18 years of age.

​​Apply for a licence

Premises licence forms on GOV​​.UK

​Completed applications can be emailed to or posted to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing or brought in to the Licensing Unit during opening hours.

Payment can be made by credit/debit card (credit cards incur a cost of 1.85%).

Application evaluation process

Applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area where the premises are located.

Applications must be in a specific format and be accompanied by any required fee. An operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity).

An operating schedule will include details of:

  • The licensable activities.
  • The times when the activities will take place.
  • Any other times when the premises will be open to the public.
  • In the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for.
  • Information in respect of the premises supervisor.
  • Whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both.
  • The steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives.
  • Any other required information.

Applicants are required to advertise their application and give a full copy of the application and plan to all responsible authorities. See an up-to-date list of Responsible Authorities as of 2015 (10kb pdf).

A notice is to be displayed on the premises for a period of no less than 28 consecutive days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to the relevant licensing authority. It must be displayed, in all cases, prominently at or on the premises to which the application relates, where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premise. In the case of a premises covering an area of more than fifty metres square, a further notice in the same form, and subject to the same requirements, must be displayed every fifty metres along the external perimeter of the premises abutting any highway. The notice must be of a size equal or larger than A4, of a pale blue colour, printed legibly in black ink or typed in black in a font of a size equal to or larger than 16. The notice in the Local Newspaper must be published at least once during a period of 10 working days, starting the day after the application was made to the licensing Authority. Applicants are advised to place the notice in the most appropriate newspaper of the Observer Group, i.e. Rochdale Observer, Middleton Guardian or Heywood Advertiser. A notice template will be provided by the Licensing office upon request.

The licensing authority must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. To make a formal representation please use the official Interested Party Representation Form (165kb pdf.  If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions, licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the application can be rejected.

The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations (ie representations that were not deemed frivolous or vexatious) and the chief of police.

Applications can also be made to vary or transfer a licence. A hearing may have to be heard if representations are made or conditions relating to a transfer are not met.

Other applications that can be made are applications for an interim authority notice following the death, incapacity or insolvency of a licence holder or review applications.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of 28 days. Where objections have been received to the application, we must determine the application within 56 days. Please contact us if you are notified that objections have been made.

Where tacit consent is applicable, it will only apply for licences / registrations that are submitted electronically or the business can show proof of delivery from a post office or recognised courier.

Failed application redress

Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrate's court within 21 days.

Licence holder redress

Please contact Rochdale Borough Council in the first instance.

Other redress

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event.


01706 924114

Licensing counter drop-in sessions, Number One Riverside​

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9am-11am and 2pm-4pm

Friday ​9am-11am

Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU