Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Street trading consent

If you want to sell items or food on the street you'll need Street Trading Consent. 

Do I need a Street Trading Consent?

There are 2 types licences for trading on the street. The licence you need depends on where you want to trade.     

You'll need Street Trading Consent if you want to sell

  • Any type of food (for example burgers, kebabs, doughnuts).
  • Any type of household items, toys, mobile phone accessories and more.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you're:  

  • Trading as a Pedlar with a licence issued by a Police Authority.
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue.
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals.

Consent allows you to trade from your trailer or stall in specific locations, apart from certain areas which are listed in the restricted trade zones.

Please contact the Licensing Service to find out which licence is the one most appropriate for you (see contact section for address and opening hours).   


If you want to sell food, you'll also have to apply for a food business registration.

Licence fees

Street Trading Consent £925
Change of vehicle or stall during consent£54
Consent to cover trading at special events up to 2 days​£84
Consent to cover trading at special events up to 5 days£211

Once we've accepted your application and received the appropriate fee our Food Hygiene and Safety section will arrange an inspection of your vehicle or stall.

Payment should be made once your application is received, at a counter drop-in session or by telephone.

How to apply

A licence lasts for 1 year or as specified on the licence.

To apply:

  1. Complete and return the form to us. 
  2. You'll need to
    • Provide evidence that your business is registered with us if you wish to sell food.
    • Tell us where and when you want to trade.
    • Provide 2 photographs of yourself.      
    • Pay the licence fee.

Food application for street trading consent (145kb pdf)

Non-food application for street trading consent (175kb pdf)

After completing the form

  • Send completed forms to
  • Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU; or  
  • Bring it in to the Licensing Unit (see contact section for address and opening hours).
  • You must wait for your application to be approved before you start trading.

Food safety and hygiene for food street traders

If you're making a food application for a street trading consent it's important that your business meets suitable food safety and hygiene standards.

Guide for Mobile Street Traders on Food Safety and Hygiene (418kb pdf)


If your application is refused or revoked you can discuss the reasons with us (see contact section for address and opening hours).

Other than a Judicial Review, there is no statutory right of appeal against our decision, but an appeal could be heard by the Regulatory Sub-Committee of the council.  

Fines and penalties

If you don't obey the conditions of your licence, it can be suspended or withdrawn, or you can be fined up to £1,000.

It is illegal to trade without Street Trading Consent.

 Global Terms


01706 924114

Licensing counter drop-in sessions, Number One Riverside​

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9am-11am and 2pm-4pm

Friday ​9am-11am

Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU