Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Street trading licence

​​​​​​​​Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street. This includes food such as burgers, kebabs and doughnuts or other things such as household items, novelties and so on.

All streets in this area are designated as Consent Streets, other than certain streets in Rochdale town centre which are "licensed" streets. This means that any person who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain a Street Trading Consent or Licence from us.

Eligibility criteria

Food traders must be registered with the Environmental Health Service.

Regulation summary

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact us, using the details above. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Planning Office.

Application evaluation process

You will need to provide evidence that your business is registered with your local Council if you wish to sell food.

Applications will not be considered without this evidence. All details on the application are checked.

Consent will not be granted where there is a risk to road safety or possibility of a nuisance or obstruction being created, or if we consider the siting to be prejudicial to existing businesses.

We may revoke a Street Trading Consent after it has been granted. This may be for a variety of reasons such as: non compliance with conditions, non payment or because other agencies such as highways department require access to the trading location.

It is an offence under Section 10 of Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 to engage in illegal street trading.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

Apply for a licence

You are able to download application forms from the links below:


Application for a street trading food licence (149kb pdf)​

​​Non food

Application for a street trading non food licence (146kb pdf)

​​If your application is refused or revoked

If your application is refused or revoked you can discuss the reasons with us. Other than a Judicial Review, there is no statutory right of appeal against our decision, but an appeal could be heard by the Regulatory Sub-Committee of the council.

Related pages


01706 924114

Licensing counter drop-in sessions, Number One Riverside​

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
9am-11am and 2pm-4pm

Friday ​9am-11am

Licensing Unit
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU