Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013: Important changes to the law
The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 came into force on 1 October 2013. This legislation says that any persons collecting, buying or selling scrap or involved in any motor salvage operations, must have a Scrap Metal Dealers Licence issued by a local authority.
Site licence and collector’s licence
There are two types of licence:
- Site licence
- Collector’s licence
site licence allows you to operate a site and collect any scrap relevant to that site.
collector’s licence allows you to collect scrap only within the authority area that it was issued. You will need to apply for collector’s licences from each relevant authority should you wish to operate in more than one Council area.
An applicant can only hold one type of licence in any one local authority area. You will need to decide whether you are going to have a site or a collector’s licence in the Borough of Rochdale.You will also need to submit a Basic Criminal Record Disclosure vetting form (to be obtained from
Disclosure Scotland) to be no older than 3 months from its date of issue, as part of the application process.
Any persons who carry out business as a scrap metal dealer without a licence may be liable on conviction to maximum fine of £5,000.
What is needed with my application?
Site Licence Grant/Renewal
Multiple Site Licence (price per extra site)
Collectors Licence Grant/Renewal
Change from Collector to Site Licence
Change from Site to Collector Licence
Change Licensee Details
Change Licensed Sites
Change Site Manager
Certified Copy of Licence
- Basic Disclosures for each person as required (a disclosure can only be accepted if it is within 3 months of its issue date)
- Relevant Fee
- Photographic ID for each person, acceptable documents are:
- UK Passport
- EEA Passport
- GB or NI photocard driving licence
- UK biometric immigration document
- Proof of address for each person, acceptable documents are:
- Recent Bank / Building Society statement
- Recent Credit / Debit Card Statement
- Recent Council Tax Bill
- Recent Utility Bill (but not mobile phone bill)
- Evidence of bank account (to match the details provided on the form)
- For collectors licences we require your original vehicle registration document (V5 log book), valid MOT, insurance certificate and waste carriers licence and a recent sized photograph.
Please note this does not replace the Waste Carrier’s or Waste Management Licence or any other relevant permit/approval required by law, which is normally issued by the Environment Agency.