latest information about licences and registration.
Find out if you need a car boot sales licence, how to apply, what conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a licensing decision.
Do I need a licence?
You'll need a licence from us if you want to hold a car boot sale, craft fair, table top sale or other similar sale in the borough of Rochdale.
How much will my licence cost?
You'll need to pay a licence fee of £4.30 for each car or stall you had at your car boot sale. You'll pay this after your car boot sale.
However, if you're holding a car boot sale to raise money for charity or a good cause, you can apply for an exemption. If your exemption is approved, you don't need to pay the fee.
How can I apply?
To apply for a car boot sales licence, including an exemption from the licence fee:
- Complete the application form below and return it to us using the contact details on the form.
- Make sure we receive your application at least 14 days before you plan to hold your car boot sale.
- We aim to contact you about your application within 14 days of receiving your application.
- After your car boot sale, we'll contact you to take the licence fee payment.
What conditions do I need to meet?
There are no conditions to meet unless you're applying for an exemption.
If we approve your exemption request:
- We'll send you a returns form which you must complete after you hold your car boot sale
- You must return this to us within 14 days from the date of your car boot sale. On the form, you must give full details of the money collected and any expenses taken out from this.
- You will receive an acknowledgement from us within 7 days confirming we've received and checked your returns form.
- If you fail to send in this returns from within 14 days from the date of your car boot sale, you will then receive notification that your exemption is cancelled and you'll need to pay the licence fee.
Is my application granted if I don't hear back?
Yes, tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us after 14 days of receiving your application form.
How long will my licence last?
Your car boot sale licence will only cover the car boot sales listed on your application.
If you wish to hold another sale, you'll need to apply again.
How do I appeal a decision?
If you want to appeal a decision, please contact us using the contact details on this page in the first instance.