Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Boarding animals licence

Find out if you need a boarding animals licence, how to apply, what conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a licensing decision.

Do I need a licence?

You'll need a licence to provide boarding for cats and/or dogs if you provide any of the following activities :

  • Boarding in kennels for dogs - where dogs stay in their own building, not in your home.
  • Home boarding for dogs - where dogs stay in your home.
  • Day care for dogs - where the dogs stay for a period during the day with no dogs staying overnight.
  • Boarding for cats - for any type of cat boarding.

You must say on your application form what type of animal boarding establishment you'll be running and what type of animals you'll be boarding. Your licence will specify the number of dogs and cats you can board.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a licence to provide boarding for cats and/or dogs if you're 18 years old or older and live in Rochdale borough.

You're not eligible to apply if at the time of your application you:

  • Are disqualified under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals, or:
  • Meet the criteria in Regulation 11 and Schedule 8 of the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 as being disqualified or had a licence revoked.

How to apply

To apply for a licence to provide boarding for cats and/or dogs:

  1. Download and complete the boarding animals application form below and either:
  2. We'll call you to take your payment of the £155 licence fee by credit or debit card.
  3. We'll schedule an inspection of your premises by an animal welfare officer. Please note, you'll also need to pay the cost of any veterinary fees if a vet is needed during the inspection.
  4. If the officer is satisfied your premises meet all the licence conditions, we'll issue your licence.
Boarding animals licence application form and conditions (446kb pdf)

What conditions do I need to meet?

To receive a licence to board cats and/or dogs, an animal welfare officer will visit your premises to check if you meet all of the licence conditions.

Once you've received a licence, you'll also have to follow the conditions of the licence.

All these conditions are listed at the end of the application form which you can download in the section above.

Is my application granted if I don't hear back?

No. We must process your application before it can be granted as tacit consent doesn't apply.

How long will my licence last?

Your licence to board cats and/or dogs will last for 1, 2 or 3 years. We'll decide the length of your licence based on the outcome of your inspection.

Can I renew my licence?
Yes. You must apply to renew your licence if you want to continue boarding animals. We'll send you the renewal documents to your licensed premises 3 months before your licence is due to expire.

You'll have to complete and return the renewal documents at least 10 weeks before your licence expires. If you don't renew in time, you'll need to apply for a licence again. This may affect the length of your licence and you may have to pay additional costs.

How do I appeal a decision?

You can get in touch with us using the contact details on this page if you want to know more about why we suspended, changed or revoked your licence or why we refused your application and what actions you can take before re-applying.

If you disagree with our decision, you can appeal to HM Courts and Tribunals Service.

Fines and penalties​

You can face an unlimited fine or up to 51 weeks in prison, or both, if you:

  • Run an animal boarding establishment without a licence
  • Don't follow the conditions of your licence
  • Obstruct or delay an inspection by the licensing officer

Related pages


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU