Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Animal movement licence

Coronavirus (COVID-19): latest information about licences and registration.

​​​​​​​Licence summary

Foot and mouth disease control measures require all cattle, sheep, goats,pigs and farmed /park deer to be moved under the authority of a General Licence granted by the Department of Environment , Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

In addition, these animals must also be accompanied by a specific movement licence during all movements.

The movements must be reported to the local Authority to allow all the movement details to be entered on a national database for traceability purposes.

The database is called the Animal Movement Licensing System (AMLS). Our Environmental Health Service carries out this function for all of the Rochdale Borough.

The movement of any animal with a vertebra in connection with an economic activity must hold a transported authorisation if the movement is over 65 km (approximately 40 miles and for movement between CPH holders).

You must register with Defra as an animal keeper holder of a CPH (Chapel Holding Number).

Movement to a premise without a CPH requires a licence from the local Defra Office from where the animal is to be moved from before the movement takes place.

Eligibility criteria

There is none required for this licence.

Regulation summary​

You do not need a specific movement licence to move cattle, but all cattle must be accompanied by their cattle passport when moved on to or off holdings.

The relevant information must be sent to the British Cattle Movement Service for the movement details to be recorded on the national database for cattle.

You can obtain movement licenses from the Environmental Health Service or Defra.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that a post movement licence be sent within 3 days.  The pre movement licence for none CPH movements are from Defra. If you have not heard within a reasonable period, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details on the right hand side of the page.

Apply for a licence

Contact GOV.UK for a copy of the appropriate form or alternatively telephone or email us for a movement licence. ​

GOV.UK - apply for a lic​ence​​​​​



Consumer c​omplaint

Please contact  Environmental Health in the first instance.​


0300 303 8871

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Public Protection Service​​
Number One Riversid​e​
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU