Children's winter mini reading challenge 2020-21
Date: Tuesday, 1 December 2020 - Friday, 15 January 2021
Suitable for: children between the ages of 4-11, although children of any age can participate
The Winter Mini Challenge (Everyone is a Hero) encourages children to keep up their reading habits over the winter holidays. The theme is all about discovering heroes big and small, by reading brilliant books.
You can access rewards and incentives for reading and reviewing books, as well as fun activities, videos and reading recommendations.
How to take part in the Winter Mini Reading Challenge
If not already done so, you'll need to register with the Reading Challenge website. You'll then be able to access rewards and incentives for reading and reviewing books, as well as fun activities, videos and reading recommendations.
To take part in the Winter Mini Reading Challenge:
- Read 3 or more books - these can be any books of your choice
- Add the books you finish to your profile on the challenge website and leave a short book review
- Once you've reached your reading goal, you'll unlock a virtual badge and a special 'Everyone Is A Hero' certificate to print off and keep
How to borrow books from your local library
You don't need to go out to buy books, you can simply reuse books or borrow these from your local library.
Here are a few ways for you to read books.
How to participate in the challenge if you've not got internet access
Our libraries are here to serve you all. We encourage you to participate even if you don't have access to the internet.
To participate in the challenge you'll need to ring us on 0300 303 8876 or visit your local library to:
- Request a reading record. You'll use this to keep a record of the books you've read.
- Request the books you'd like to read. You need to be a member of the library to take books home. If you're not already a member, ask a parent or guardian for their permission to join. They'll need to go with you to the library and bring some identification for themselves. Alternatively, you can re-read the books you already have at home.
Once you've completed the challenge you'll need to contact us again to collect your special 'Everyone Is A Hero' certificate.
Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge is an annual activity aimed at 4-11 year olds. Older or younger children can also take part if you'd like them to. It's presented by The Reading Agency and delivered by libraries across the country.
The challenge encourages children to read 6 or more books of their choice during the summer holidays to help prevent the summer reading 'dip'.