You can help us make lasting improvements to your local parks and countryside by becoming a Green Volunteer. We provide training, equipment, protective clothing and everything else you need to be on the team. All you need to do is turn up, roll up your sleeves, give it a go and enjoy yourself!
Want to get involved?
We're well on our way to getting our 100th Green Volunteer now! Anyone can volunteer but you must be 16 or over. Whoever you are, you'll be made welcome as a Green Volunteer. You can attend volunteer activities during the week or at weekend and at a variety of sites from Hollingworth Lake in the north of the borough to Alkrington Woods (Middleton) in the south.
The story so far...
The Green Volunteer scheme started in December 2007. Since then, volunteers have:
- Re-opened local countryside paths that had become blocked with overgrown vegetation.
- Kept countryside traditions alive by learning about and doing hedge-laying and dry stone walling.
- Delivered hundreds of wildlife habitat improvement projects with our local rangers.
- Joined existing gardening clubs at Denehurst and Springfield Park to make our parks blooming beautiful.
- Helped deliver environmental education activities at Hollingworth Lake.