We have a legal obligation to protect tenants from inappropriate and illegal behaviour by landlords. We'll work with tenants to ensure necessary repairs are undertaken within a reasonable time and the property is fit to live in.
The kind of problems we can help with
- Repairs your landlord has failed to carry out. For example, if you've reported a problem your landlord should make the repair within a reasonable time.
- Damp, mould or condensation.
- Communicating with your landlord. For example, if your landlord fails to respond to your phone calls.
- Harassment and illegal eviction.
- Security deposit or bond. For example, where a landlord refuses to return the payment you've made.
What we'll do after you've reported a problem
- Contact you to make an appointment to inspect the property.
- Contact the landlord to inform them of the necessary work to make your home fit to live in following the inspection.
- Agree a reasonable timescale with your landlord for the repairs to be undertaken.
- Monitor your landlord's progress and take further action if the response is inadequate.
- If necessary, take legal action against your landlord to ensure the repairs are undertaken.
- Keep the tenant informed throughout the process.