Landlord Accreditation Scheme
Joining the council's boroughwide free and voluntary
Landlord Accreditation Scheme benefits both landlords and
tenants. Good quality, properly managed
accommodation will help make your private rented
accommodation more attractive to potential tenants.
Benefits of joining the Landlord Accreditation Scheme
- Free gas safety inspection.
- Free loft and cavity wall insulation.
- Free advertising in both the council's property shop and on
Rochdale's Home Choice website.
- Free training, advice and support, for example training on
property tax, Housing Benefit, resolving anti-social behaviour and
other tenancy issues.
- Free Tenancy referencing.
- Access to an approved list of contractors.
- Working in partnership with the council to improve your
- Landlords can use the Accreditation logo to show the
property meets the required standard.
- Free Energy Performance Certificates.
Join the Landlord Accreditation Scheme
To join the scheme landlords must:
- Own or manage their properties in the borough of Rochdale.
- Keep the council informed of all properties they own
- Allow the council access to inspect the property with
- Provide the council and the tenant a periodic electrical
certificate on each property within the first 5 years of
applying for accreditation.
- Provide the council and the tenant with a current and
valid Gas Safety Certificate for each property submitted for
- Provide the council and the tenant with a current
and valid Energy Performance Certificate, for each property
managed, which has been re-let since April 2008.
- Complete 10 hours of training within each period of
Houses in multiple occupation
Landlords with a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) will need to
apply for a licence. A HMO is a single
property with several tenants within it.