Applicants are also short-listed according to:
- If you currently live within the borough or have a strong local connection
- If you're employed or volunteering
- Time in need/length of waiting time on the Housing Register
- Applicants with no housing debt will be given priority, if when shortlisted they are equal to another applicant who has a housing related debt.
However, not all housing providers use the council’s policy, so if you register for rehousing directly with them, their allocation policy may be different and you may be prioritised differently.
Joining the council's Housing Register
To join the council's Housing Register you must complete an application on Rochdale HomeChoice.
What happens after you've applied to HomeChoice
RBH will assess your circumstances and contact you within 7-10 working days to inform you of:
- The housing priority band you've been allocated
- The size of property you're entitled to
- Your Rochdale HomeChoice number
- How to bid for properties on Rochdale HomeChoice
Being registered doesn't mean you'll be successful in bidding and waiting times are lengthy.
How do I bid on social housing?
Most available accommodation is advertised on the HomeChoice website. Each week there's a 6-day period when you can place bids for the advertised homes that you're interested in, this is called the ‘bidding cycle’. Each bidding cycle opens on a Thursday at 2pm and closes the following Wednesday at 2pm. You decide which homes you'd like to be considered for and place bids on up to 3 available homes in each advertising cycle.
If you have applied directly to a housing provider, there may be another way of expressing an interest in their available accommodation. Please ask them for details.
How long will I have to wait for social housing?
The length of time you have to wait will be dependent on your priority banding, the type of home you require and for how long you've been registered. Feedback is provided on the RBH website, about previously advertised homes, including the priority band and waiting time of the successful applicant.