Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Home improvements, insulation and repairs

​​If you rent your property

If you're a tenant and your property requires improving or repairing you should first contact your landlord as they've a duty to ensure your property is kept in good condition. If your landlord doesn't respond, it may be possible for us to help: Get help with housing problems.

If you're renting from Rochdale Boroughwide Housing report the repair to them.

Report a repair to Rochdale Boroughwide Housing

Local Energy Advice Programme (LEAP)

Local Energy Advice Programme (LEAP) logo. Rochdale Borough Council is offering residents a new, completely free of charge service to help you save money and keep your home warm and cosy.

How it works: once we’ve checked your eligibility, you will get a free home visit from a qualified Home Energy Advisor who can help:

  • Install free simple home energy measures (LED lighting, draught proofing and so on).
  • Give you day to day energy efficiency hints and tips and make sure your heating controller is working correctly.
  • Help you check if you are on the cheapest tariff.
  • Arrange a free telephone advice service to help with benefits, money and bill problems.
  • Refer you for further energy efficiency improvements such as loft or cavity wall insulation.

Book your free LEAP home visit or apply online

Save money on your bills with clean energy through the Greater Manchester Big Clean Switch

Big Clean Switch logo. We're part of a campaign that aims to help you save money by switching your home to a clean tariff. Most UK homes are guaranteed to save money by switching to the cheapest clean deal.

The Greater Manchester Big Clean Switch is currently averaging savings of over £280 a year for residents and uses energy from renewable sources like wind, water and sun which helps fight air pollution and climate change.

If just one in every 100 homes in Greater Manchester switched to clean electricity, it would be equivalent to taking over 10,000 cars off the road for a year; on top of all that, the cheapest clean energy suppliers are market leaders when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Plus when you switch through the Greater Manchester Big Clean Switch, the supplier pays the campaign a commission. This doesn’t affect the price of the tariff, and the Greater Manchester Combined Authority will use its share to help fund social and environmental projects across Greater Manchester, so even more good will come of your switch.

Compare prices and find out how to switch

Property insulation, central heating and boiler repairs or replacement

Insulating your home and using other energy-saving techniques are the best way of reducing your energy bills. Funding may be available to help fund insulation work to your home and possibly free or subsidised boiler replacement, which could save you hundreds of pounds a year on your energy bills.

You could save on your energy bills up to:

  • £140 per year with cavity wall insulation. Based on insulating a gas-heated, semi-detached home with 3 bedrooms.
  • £180 per year with extra loft insulation​​. Based on insulating a gas-heated, semi-detached home with 3 bedrooms, showing savings when you insulate an uninsulated loft, and when you top up 100mm of insulation to 270mm.
  • £310 per year by replacing your boiler. Based on installing a new A-rated condensing boiler and full set of heating controls in a gas-heated, semi-detached gas heated home with 3 bedrooms, where the old boiler was G-rated.

There are 3 ways your household can qualify

  1. If you are a low income household on certain means-tested benefits and credits, and either are a private home owner or private tenant, living in poorly insulated properties and/or do not have a working central heating system.
  2. If your home is in key designated postcode areas you may qualify for free cavity wall insulation and loft insulation.
  3. There is currently funding in place for those living in uninsulated solid wall or hard to treat properties within certain areas of the borough. If you are not sure whether this applies to your home, email call 01706 922545.

For more advice on how to save money on your energy bills, go to the Energy Saving Trust

Discounted boiler and insulation  

Image of a boilerWe've teamed up with councils across Greater Manchester and e-on energy to offer free or part-funded new boilers and other energy saving measures to help cut the cost of heating your home this winter.

​Over 300 people across Greater Manchester have already been helped by the scheme and residents who think they might qualify are urged to get in touch.

​How to apply: to qualify for a free or discounted boiler and insulation, you need to be on certain​ benefits and own your​ home or rent from a private landlord​. You don't need to be an e-on energy customer.​

Check if you qualify and book a free home survey​

​​Alternatively, you can speak to somebody direct on ​​​0800 508 8008.

Warm Homes Discount Scheme

This is a £140 rebate off electricity bills and is offered to certain groups of people by energy companies.
If you receive pension credit guarantee, you will receive this payment automatically.

Other low income or vulnerable households may also be eligible. However, this won't be paid automatically, so you are advised to ring your utility provider and check if you qualify.

How to claim under the Warm Home Discount Scheme on GOV.UK

Trust Fund Grants

Many utility suppliers run Trust Fund grants to help customers in financial difficulty. These can help to clear fuel debts and even pay for household goods and appliances if necessary.