Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Who can help with domestic abuse?

Coronavirus (COVID-19): domestic abuse support updates

In light of the current situation, many organisations have made some changes to the services they provide so it's easier for you to access support.

Exit site.

If you're a victim of domestic abuse, there's a range of support available to help you.

Contact the police

  • In an emergency, dial 999 and ask for help.
  • When you can't talk, dial 999 then press 55 when prompted. This is called the Silent Solution system.
  • For non-emergency police assistance, dial 101 for the Greater Manchester Police Switchboard (24-hour service).

Find out about a partner's past

If you're worried about your partner or ex-partner's behaviour, you can find out if they've a criminal history of violence or abuse in their previous relationships. You can also request this information about the partner of a close friend or family member, if you're concerned about them.

Get specialist support

Here are some support services who have expertise in supporting victims of domestic violence and abuse.

Local support services

  • Rail to Refuge scheme - if you're a woman fleeing domestic abuse, you may be able to get a FREE train ticket which you can use to travel to refuge accommodation.
  • Safenet - provides refuge accommodation to women and children and also offers safe-houses and outreach support for male and female victims and survivors.
  • Rochdale Connections Trust - support for female victims, children and male perpetrators. Office is currently closed but key workers are offering support over the phone during normal office hours. This includes safety planning, male awareness and time out strategies. Call 07946 651643.
  • Rochdale Victim Support - one-to-one support for male and female victims and survivors of domestic abuse living within Rochdale borough. They can also help you in attending court. Currently offering telephone and email support, including safety planning on the following contact details: 0161 507 9609 and
  • The Freedom Programme for women - a FREE and confidential 12-week programme for women who want to know more about domestic abuse.
  • Rochdale Women's Welfare Association - support for Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) women affected by forced marriage, FGM (female genital mutilation) or sexual assault. Telephone support is available Monday-Friday between 10am-2pm on 01706 860157.
  • Support for honour based violence victims - there is lots of support available to you if you have experienced honour based violence and abuse.
  • NESTAC - therapeutic support for adult women, children and young people affected by or at risk of Female Genital Mutilation.
  • LGBT Foundation - provides support across Greater Manchester to anyone over 16 years old who identifies under the umbrella term of LGBTQ+, including those questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity.
  • Independent Choices - one-to-one support across Greater Manchester for LGBTQ+ people affected by domestic abuse.

Sexual assault support

  • Rochdale Women's Welfare Association - support for Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) women affected by forced marriage, FGM or sexual assault. Telephone support is available Monday-Friday between 10am-2pm on 01706 860157.
  • St Mary's Sexual Assault Referral Centre - provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare support to any victims of rape or sexual assault.
  • Trafford Rape Crisis - offers a FREE service to women and girls who have experienced any form of sexual violence recently or historically. Fully trained trauma informed counsellors offer 26 weeks of one to one therapy to help you rebuild your life. Any woman can access the service, no matter where you live as long as you can travel to Trafford where it's based. You can join the programme yourself through their website.

National helplines

  • The 24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline
  • The Men's Advice Line - a national charity dedicated to helping and supporting male victims of domestic abuse. On their website, you'll find:
    • Information about Men's Advice Line and how you can contact the
    • Myths about domestic violence against me
    • What you can do to try and make yourself safe
    • Advice if you've children with your abusive partner
    • Details of other people and organisations who you can contact for support
    • Information about who you can contact for legal support and advice
  • Galop - the national lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans domestic abuse helpline.
  • Broken Rainbow - a helpline for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual victims: 0300 999 5428.
  • Karma Nirvana - supporting victims of honour-based abuse including forced marriage.

Online support and safety mobile apps

Now more than usual, you may need to access support online rather than over the phone. Here are some online services or apps you can download for FREE to access domestic violence support.

  • Safenet - live online chat service.
  • Bright Sky - app which provides support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know. The app is available in several languages including English, Urdu, Punjabi and Polish.
  • Chayn - provides online tools, information, courses and support for people experiencing abuse. Their DIY online safety guide details how to secure devices or clear browsing history after you've accessed a website.
  • Hollieguard - a personal safety app.
  • The Survivors' Forum - an online resource for survivors of domestic abuse. It aims to be a place where survivors can support each other and share their experiences.
  • Victim Support - online chat service for victims of crime in Greater Manchester.
  • Women's Aid - currently offering an online chat service. Start chat with Women's Aid.

Housing and homelessness support

  • Rochdale Homeless Team:
    0300 303 8548, Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm.
    0300 303 8875, out of hours
  • Safenet - provides refuge accommodation to women and children and also offers safe-houses and outreach support for male and female victims and survivors.
  • Manchester Domestic Violence Helpline: 0161 636 7525, Monday - Friday, 8am-4pm. This helpline is currently available Monday-Friday 10am-4pm.
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline (24-hour national helpline): 0808 2000 247
  • Leopold Court (emergency housing): 01706 712977
  • Endeavour Pet Fostering - pet fostering service for any victim of domestic abuse within Greater Manchester who has a domestic pet and is fleeing to temporary accommodation.

Help for children

If you're a child or young person living with violence at home, you're not alone. There are many others in your situation and help is available.

Support to change your behaviour if you're abusive

Information about domestic abuse