Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Simple Slider

Claim benefits

Coronavirus (COVID-19): benefit claims updates

If your income has been reduced because of coronavirus, don't delay – make your claim now.

View the latest information about:

Calculate and claim benefits

You can use the link below to calculate and claim any of the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit.
  • Council Tax Support.
  • Council Tax reduction.
  • Second Adult Rebate.

​​The calculator gives you an instant estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to, then you can choose to make a claim. Your estimate will be based on the information you've supplied. 

Calculate and claim benefits​

Council Tax reduction

In April 2020, we introduced a new Council Tax reduction scheme for working-age people who receive Universal Credit.

We've introduced this scheme to make it easier for you to get support paying your Council Tax if the hours you work often change. We hope this new scheme will give you more certainty about how much council tax you'll need to pay each month.

What reduction can I get?

The table below shows the maximum reduction you could get off your Council Tax bill based on the income you earn over the 'applicable amount'.

The applicable amount is how much money the government says you need to live off each month. The government works this out using estimates called standard allowances.

Income you earn over the applicable amount ​Council Tax reduction amount
​Up to £10​85% off
​£10.01 - £25​75% off
​£25. 01 - £45​60% off
​£45.01 - £65​45% off
​£65.01 - £85​25% off
​£85.01 - £100​10% off
​£100.01 and above​No reduction

Criteria for claiming Housing Benefit

You can only claim Housing Benefit if you meet one or more of the following criteria. If you don't, you'll need to claim Universal Credit instead.

  • You live in temporary or specified accommodation.
  • You're single and over state pension credit age, or are part of a couple who are both over state pension credit age. If you are part of a couple where only one of you is below state pension credit age, you must claim Universal Credit to pay for your housing costs instead.

Find out how to apply for Universal Credit

Criteria for claiming Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you meet all the following criteria: 

  • You pay Council Tax at your main home.
  • You don't have savings of over £16,000.

What you'll need to apply and how long it will take

When you complete your online claim for benefits, you may need to provide evidence of your identity, earnings or housing costs.

View your Housing Benefit claim and payments     

You can sign in to MyAccount to view your Housing Benefit award, view your payment schedule, see any previous payments made to you, report changes, sign up for email notifications and see if you've any overpayments outstanding.

To view your benefit claim:

  1. Sign in or register for MyAccount using the link below.
  2. Add your benefits account, if you haven't done so already. You'll need your 9 digit benefits reference number which you can find on your notification letters. You'll also need to answer a few security questions.
  3. From your online benefits account, follow the link for view your benefit payments.

Sign in or register for MyAccount to view your benefit claim


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ


MyAccount logo.

Did you know you can use MyAccount to access your Council Tax and benefit services? It's free to use, safer and you'll be able to access your account whenever you'd like.

Council Tax services include:

  • Set up or amend your Direct Debit details
  • View or change your instalment plan
  • Report a change of address
  • Check your Council Tax band
  • Apply for a single person discount
  • Check your Council Tax balance
  • Sign-up for e-Billing

Benefit services include:

  • Check your benefit entitlement
  • View benefit payments
  • Report a change of circumstances

Register or sign in to MyAccount (opens in a new window)