Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Simple Slider

Evidence to support your benefit claim

Coronavirus (COVID-19): evidence for claiming benefits

After you complete your online claim for benefits you’ll be able to upload your evidence using a smartphone. It doesn't matter if you don’t have all the evidence available now. Please don’t delay – make your claim now. We'll ring you if we need anything else.

If you’re employed and you’ve been made redundant or your income has been reduced due to coronavirus: you just need to tell us your current level of income using the online claim form. We’ll ring you to discuss this if we need any further information or evidence.

If you’re self-employed and your income has been reduced due to coronavirus: you just need to tell us your current level of income using the online claim form. We’ll ring you to discuss this if we need any further information or evidence.

If you’re making a claim for Council Tax Support and you’re also planning to claim Universal Credit: there’s no need to send us any evidence. When you make your Universal Credit claim, you’ll be asked if you want your information to be shared with the Local Authority. If you answer ‘yes’, we can process your Council Tax Support application without anything else from you.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely, carefully and frequently and will keep this website updated.

1. Proof of identity
for yourself (and partner if applicable)
Example: Passport, driving licence, birth or marriage certificate, NHS medical card, UK residence permit, EEC identity card, recent utility bill.

2. Proof of National Insurance number
Example: National Insurance card, payslips from your employer or private pension provider or award letters from the DWP or Job Centre Plus.

3. Proof of your address
Example: recent utility bills, TV licence.

4. Proof of earned income

  • Last 5 payslips if paid weekly.
  • Last 3 payslips if paid fortnightly.
  • Last 2 payslips if paid monthly.

If you don’t get payslips, please provide us with a Certificate of Earnings completed by your employer.
Download, print and complete a certificate of earnings form.
We also need this information for any other adult who lives with you and is working.

If you're self-employed you'll need to provide your most recent accounts or day books. If this is a new business we'll require a figure of projected earnings over a 13 week period.  If you don't have your most recent accounts or day books we have a separate self-employed form to complete:
Download, print and print a self-employed form.

5.  Proof of other money coming in
Any work and/or private pension payslips, training allowances, student grants/loans, letter showing maintenance payments and any miscellaneous cash payments.
We also need this for any other adult who lives with you and has money coming in.

6. Proof of money you pay out
Bank statement showing any money being paid to a private pension company, letter from a registered childminder or receipts which show how much you pay (these must include their registration number, the child’s name and the number of days childcare is required).

7. Proof of bank accounts, savings, investments and property
Please provide:

  • The last 2 months full statements for all bank, building society, post office or credit union accounts you (and your partner) hold. If you can’t provide full statements at the time of your claim a receipt showing the balance from your cash machine (ATM) for your account(s) will do. You will still need to provide the full statements as soon as you can.
  • Updated bank, building society or post office account passbooks that you (and your partner) hold.
  • Proof of any ISAs, PEPs, TESSAs, National Savings Certificates, Premium Bonds, Stocks and Shares
  • Proof of ownership for any property or land. If you own any other property you must tell us. There will be an extra form to fill in about this property. If you don’t have this form at the moment, don’t wait to put in your claim.
    You will also need to provide this for any other adult who lives with you.

8. Proof of rent
Signed tenancy agreement, rent book, rent statement or a letter from your landlord or managing agent which gives relevant details of your tenancy. If you have service charges we'll need to see the breakdown of them.

The relevant details of your tenancy you need to provide are:

  • Your name and address;
  • Your landlord's or agent's name and business address;
  • The date your tenancy started;
  • The amount of rent you're charged;
  • What's included in your rent for example, fuel, water, meals and other support services; and 
  • How often your rent is due.


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ