Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Overpaid Housing Benefit

An overpayment is when you get more benefit than you're entitled to. This includes benefits that have been paid to you, your landlord or any amount that has been credited directly to your rent account.

You may have been overpaid as you've forgotten to tell us a change in your circumstances such as: your income has gone up; somebody has moved in or out; you've a non-dependant living with you. You shouldn't rely on the Department for Work and Pensions or your landlord to inform us of any changes in your circumstances.

What happens next?

If you're on Housing Benefit we'll recover the overpayment from the amount you're entitled to. We'll send you a letter to tell you we're going to do this.

If you're on DWP benefits we can also recover the overpayments from those benefits, if we do this we'll write to you to let you know.

If your benefit stops and you still owe money we'll send you an invoice for the outstanding amount.

If you're not on benefit you'll need to make an arrangement to pay the overpayment back. Use any of the following methods to reduce or clear your overpayment:

Make a benefit overpayment

Make a benefit overpayment payment

You can also make a payment by:

  • Phone - using our automated phone payment system on 0300 303 8889. Lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Or, you can phone our Contact Centre. Please have your invoice number and debit or credit card handy.
  • Post Offices and PayPoint outlets - please remember to present your invoice, which contains a barcode, with your payment; you're not charged for this service.
  • Standing order - please ring our Contact Centre. We'll send you a standing order form that you'll need to sign and take to your bank.

Getting in touch

Ring us if you need to pay, don't understand the reason for the overpayment, disagree with it or want to know how we've calculated it. You can also get advice about overpayments from organisations such as the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Appeal a decision

If you want to appeal against the overpayment decision you must make your request in writing within 1 calendar month from the date of your overpayment letter.

Appeal a benefit decision.


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ