Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Housing Benefit and landlords

Can landlords be paid Housing Benefit direct?

Yes, in specific circumstances. If you're a private landlord Local Housing Allowance will normally be paid to your tenant.

Information we can give to landlords about claims

If your tenant gives us permission to share information with you and we're paying you benefit direct, we'll be able to discuss certain information with you. For example, if we've received a claim, when the next payment is due.

Where Housing Benefit is paid to you we'll send you a notification letter, which will advise:

  • When payments will start and how much Housing Benefit your tenant will get each week
  • If their Housing Benefit award changes or ends 
  • If we're deducting an amount from their on-going Housing Benefit award to recover an overpayment

The claimant is responsible for providing the information we need for their claim.

Landlord responsibilities when receiving direct payments

Where you receive direct payments of Housing Benefit you must tell us immediately if you're aware of any changes in the circumstances of any of your tenants that may affect their benefit. For example you need to tell us if your tenant moves out of the property even if they're still liable for the rent at the property.

We expect you to make regular checks to confirm your tenant is still living at the property where you're receiving Housing Benefit payments.

Housing Benefit is normally awarded up to the Sunday following the date they moved out of the property, if their rent is paid on a weekly basis.

Repaying overpayments of Housing Benefit

If you disagree with our decision to ask you to repay an overpayment you can ask us to look at our decision again. Details will be provided on the overpayment notification letter that we send to you. It's important that you write to us within 1 calendar month of the date of the notification if you disagree with our decision.

Where we think the overpayment has been caused by fraud and the landlord hasn't been involved we'll normally ask the claimant to repay the overpayment.

Appealing against a Housing Benefit decision

There are special rules for appealing against a decision if you're not claiming the benefit yourself. You can appeal a decision about whether you're paid Housing Benefit, and you can appeal a decision to recover an overpayment from you.

Appeal a benefit decision.

Related pages


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ