Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Disabled person's reduction

COVID-19: ‚Äčlatest information on Council Tax support during the coronavirus outbreak

Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if an adult or child with a substantial disability lives with you. Your home must have certain features essential to, or that are very important to the wellbeing of the disabled person. These features are:

  • A room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) used mainly by the disabled person. For example, a downstairs bedroom or room for storing dialysis equipment.
  • An extra bathroom or kitchen for the person with the disability to use.
  • Extra space inside your home because the disabled person has to use a wheelchair indoors.

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room doesn't have to be specially built. It can be an existing room or space as long as it's used specifically for the person with the disability.

We'll need to visit your home to check that you qualify.

Download and complete the Council Tax Disabled person's reduction form.

Apply for a disabled person's reduction (163kb pdf)

How much will my Council Tax be reduced by?

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced by the equivalent of 1 band. For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to a band C dwelling.

This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list. If your home is in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.

What to do if you disagree with a decision

If you think we've got the decision wrong, tell us. You can appeal against any of the following.

  • You don't think you're responsible for paying the Council Tax.
  • You've been refused an exemption.
  • You've been refused a discount.
  • You've been refused disability benefit.

You must write to us telling us why you think we've got it wrong. We'll look at it again and might ask you to send us more evidence. Write to us at:

Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale, OL16 9AJ.

If you still don't agree, you can appeal to the:

Valuation Tribunal Service
3rd Floor
Crossgate House
Wood Street
Doncaster DN1 3LL.


0300 303 8870

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Postal address
Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 490
Rochdale OL16 9AJ