Latest information about making a Personal Information Request
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Data Protection Act 2018 you can request access to your personal information. This includes asking for your personal information to be updated, erased or stop being used. If you wish to make use of any of your rights then you can make a Personal Information Request.
This service is FREE, however, we may charge you if we feel the request is repetitive or excessive.
How to make a Personal Information Request
To request your personal information you need to complete the following steps:
- Complete a Personal Information Request form.
- Provide 2 different types of evidence; one as proof of your name and one as proof of address. We can't process your Personal Information Request until we've received the right evidence.
- If you're making a request on behalf of someone else then you need to provide 2 additional types of evidence as proof of their name and current address.
- Send your completed form and accompanying evidence to us using the contact details on this page.
- You'll receive an acknowledgement as soon as we receive your completed form and evidence.
- Once we've received all of your evidence, we'll try to provide a response within 1 month. If your request is particularly complex then we may extend our response time by up to 2 months however we'll let you know as soon as possible.
Guidance notes for making a Personal Information Request
Step 1 - Completing the Personal Information Request form
do not send your original documents. You can send us a copy which we'll securely destroy once we've verified your identity; however we reserve the right to ask to see original documents. We require evidence to make sure personal information is disclosed to the correct person.
When making a Personal Information Request, please provide as much detail as you can. This will help us locate the information, including any relevant services or teams that may hold the personal information.
Step 2 - Proof of name and address
Evidence we accept as proof of your name includes:
- Photo driving licence
- Birth certificate
Evidence we accept as proof of address so long as it's no more than 3 months old includes:
- Utility bill such as gas, electricity or water
- Council tax bill
- Bank statement
Your rights to your personal information
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018, you've certain rights when it comes to the use of your personal information. These rights are not automatic but in certain circumstances you've the right to:
- Ask if your personal information is being used by us and access to the personal information held about you; known as a Personal Information Request or Subject Access Request.
- Ask for your personal information to be corrected or updated.
- Request for your personal data to be erased. We will comply with this request in certain circumstances, for example, if you initially consented to the use of your personal information but have now withdrawn that consent.
- Withdraw your consent to the use of your personal information.
- Ask us to transfer your personal information directly to another data controller. This applies to personal information that is held electronically.
- Ask us to restrict or quarantine your personal information if there is a dispute as to the accuracy or processing of your personal information. This means your personal information will not be used except in limited circumstances.
- Object to the use of your personal information and request we stop using your personal information.
- Lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.
Read more about your rights on the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) website.