Last updated: Friday, 21 September 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
We process information for Rochdale Borough Council employees and collect salary and contract information to use it to calculate wages for an individual. We process tax or other deductions, for example, pension contributions that need to be made. We also produce reports and other documents to support this.
We process payroll data as a data processor for 3rd parties clients who are the data controller. Services are provided under an SLA/Contract. Data received by clients is processed in order to pay their employees. In addition, we provide reports and fulfil statutory obligations on their behalf. Statutory obligations includes secure transfer of data to HMRC, Local Government Pension Scheme, Teachers Pensions and other NEST pension schemes, Department for Work and Pensions and Court bodies.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Age / Date of birth
- Address and contact details (including email)
- Identifiers, for example, National Insurance number, passport number, driving licence number, vehicle registration number
- Employment and attendance data
- Ethnicity or nationality
- Health or medical records including disabilities
- Marital status
- Financial, for example, bank details
- Membership of organisations
- Tax status information
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
- Employees, job applicants and volunteers
- Former employees
- Employees of 3rd parties, for example, schools
- Elected members
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Pay you and administer the collection or payment of taxes, benefits and other revenues
- Maintain accounts and records
- Provide commercial and non-commercial services
- Undertaking investigations and audits
Why we use your personal information
We need to process information about individuals to provide payroll services. We also need to ensure that we meet our statutory obligations. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Income Tax Act 2007
- Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
- Public task or statutory function
- Necessary for performance of a contract
- Legitimate interests
- Employment, social security or social protection law
- Legal proceedings (obtaining advice or defending legal rights)
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Council departments
- Customers, for example, schools
- Other public bodies and authorities, for example, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Financial organisations, for example, pension schemes
- Ombudsman and regulatory bodies
- Service providers
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.