Last updated: Monday, 13 August 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
You must make compensation claims against us in writing. They must be signed by the you or by a parent if you are under 18. This is called a letter of claim. Once we receive your letter of claim, we'll forward it to our external claim handlers and insurers who will respond in due course.
It's dealt with in exactly the same way whether you use a solicitor or not.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Age and date of birth
- Telephone number
- National Insurance number
- Details of the reason for the claim
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
- Affected parties
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records
- Prevent and prosecute crime
- Enforce regulatory powers
- Manage complaints and allegations
- Process applications, requests and appeals
- Undertake investigations and audits
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to investigate and process insurance claims. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Section 140 of the Local Government Act 1972
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- For public tasks or statutory functions
- For legal proceedings such as obtaining advice and defending legal rights
- Substantial public interest
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Affected parties
- Council departments
- Courts and Tribunals
- Law enforcement and prosecuting agencies
- Partner agencies
- Service providers such as the council's claim handler
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.