Last updated: Thursday, 9 August 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000 and The Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) 2004 gives a general right of access to all types of recorded business information held by us. It places a number of obligations on us and has some exemptions which mean we may not have to provide certain information to you.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Address and contact details including email address
- Identifiers such as a passport number or utility bill
- Any information provided by the requestor
- Sensitive information may be provided by a member of the public which is not necessary for the purpose of the FOI request
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records
- Manage complaints
- Process applications, requests and appeals
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to respond to Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulations requests. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
- Environmental Information Regulations 2004
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- For a public task or statutory function
- For legal proceedings such as obtaining advice and defending legal rights
- Where there is substantial public interest
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Council departments
- Other public bodies and authorities
- Courts and tribunals
- Ombudsman and regulatory bodies
- Service providers
- Affected parties
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 2 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.