Last updated: Monday, 13 August 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
When you report concerns about food manufacturers and retailers, we investigate to see if there's a serious risk to public health.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Age and date of birth.
- Telephone number.
- Criminal and offending data.
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records.
- Carry out health and public awareness campaigns.
- Undertake licensing and regulatory activity.
- Prevent and prosecute crime.
- Provide commercial services.
- Inform public health initiatives.
- Enforce regulatory powers.
- Manage complaints and allegations.
- Undertake investigations and audits.
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to carry out food hygiene inspections. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Food Act 1984
- Food Safety Act 1990
- Food Safety Act 1998
- Regulatory Enforcement and Sanctions Act 2008
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- To comply with a legal obligation.
- For public tasks or statutory functions.
- Substantial public interest.
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Council departments.
- Law enforcement and p.rosecuting agencies.
- Ombudsman and regulatory bodies.
- Partner agencies.
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.