Last updated: Friday, 31 August 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
Deed is the generic term for a document that transfers land or property ownership to the council or by which the council transfers land or property to a buyer. We are responsible for keeping the deeds up to date and ensuring that all deeds are registered with HM Land Registry.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Address and contact details including email address
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
- Parties with a land or property transaction with the council
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records
- Manage assets and property
- Administer the collection or payment of revenues
- Prevent and prosecute crime
- Process applications, requests and appeals
- Undertake investigations and audits
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to record any land and property transactions entered into by the council by way of a deed. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- The Law of Property Act 1925
- Land Registration Act 2002
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- For a public task or statutory function
- To comply with a legal obligation
- For the performance of a contract
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Council departments
- Housing associations
- Ombudsman and regulatory bodies
- Other public bodies and authorities
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.