Last updated: Tuesday, 28 May 2019
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
Rochdale Borough Council provides care to a number of children, many referred into care due to child protection issues or court orders.
This privacy notices the process of providing and monitoring all aspects of this care, including:
- Residential settings.
- Supervised contact centre.
- Children leaving care.
- Child protection and court teams.
- Legal support and case work.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Date of birth
- Telephone numbers
- Email addresses
- Medical and health information
- Attainment and educational data
- Crime and offending data
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Provide residential childcare.
- Safeguard the welfare of children and young people.
- Maintain accounts and records.
- Support and manage employees.
- Provide social services.
- Prevent and prosecute crime.
- Provide support and guidance to young people.
- Manage complaints and allegations.
- Commission services.
- Undertake investigations.
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to safeguard children and provide appropriate care. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Children and Young Persons Act 2008.
- Childcare Act 2006.
- Care Standards Act 2000.
- Children Act 1989.
- Care Leavers Regulations 2010.
- Arrangements for the Placement of Children Regulations 1991.
- Children's Homes Regulations 2001.
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006.
- Local Government Act 1972.
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- Necessary to comply with a legal obligation.
- Public task or statutory function.
- Necessary for the performance of a contract.
- Vital interests (life and death).
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Council departments.
- Other public bodies and authorities.
- Courts and tribunals.
- Law enforcement and prosecuting agencies.
- Healthcare organisations.
- Partner agencies.
- Service providers.
- Affected parties.
- Regulatory bodies.
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for up to 75 years from the date of birth of the child, or for an additional length of time if necessary and justified.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.