Last updated: Thursday, 9 August 2018
Please note: the following notice provides additional privacy information to the
Rochdale Borough Council privacy notice.
Business rates help pay for the services we provide, such as education, refuse collection and street lighting. Business rates is a local tax that's paid by the occupiers of all non-domestic and business properties, in the same way that council tax is a tax on domestic property. We charge business rates on most business properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories. The property doesn't have to be used for a business, if it's used for purposes which aren't domestic it's likely to be rateable.
What personal information we collect
We collect personal information to make sure that we can carry out our work. The personal information we collect includes:
- Business address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Bank details
Who we collect personal information about
When we collect personal information it may be about:
- Business owners
How we use personal information
We use your personal information to:
- Maintain accounts and records
- Administer the collection or payment of taxes, benefits and other revenues
- Process applications, requests and appeals
- Undertake investigations and audits
Why we use your personal information
We're required by law to charge business rates. This is detailed in legislation and guidance including:
- Business Rates Supplements Act 2009
- Local Government Finance Act 1988
- Non-Domestic Rating (Rates Retention) Regulations 2013
- Non-Domestic Rating (Levy and Safety Net) Regulations 2013
- Non-Domestic Rating (Designated Areas) Regulations 2013
- Non-Domestic Rating (Chargeable Amounts) (England) Regulations 2009
- Non-Domestic Rating (Alteration of Lists and Appeals) (England) Regulations 2009
We're allowed to process personal and sensitive data for the following reasons under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Articles and the Data Protection Act:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- For public tasks or statutory functions
Who we share your personal information with
We collect information from and disclose information to individuals and organisations that can support our work including:
- Affected parties
- Council departments
- Courts and tribunals
- Law enforcement and prosecuting agencies
- Licensing authorities
- Ombudsman and regulatory bodies
- Other public bodies and authorities
When we make an automated decision about your personal information
This service doesn't make any decisions using computers or programmes that don't involve a human being when using your personal information.
How long we keep your personal information
We keep personal information collected as part of this process for a minimum of 6 years from the date of collection, or for an additional length of time if necessary.
When we transfer your personal information beyond the European Economic Area (EEA)
This service doesn't transfer your information outside the EEA.
We do not routinely share data with any organisation outside the UK, but our website is available across the internet and we communicate with applicants and stakeholders wherever they are.