Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Council Tax for empty properties

If you own an empty property, you'll receive either a discount or additional charge to your Council Tax payment.

How much Council Tax will I need to pay for an empty property?

The Council Tax charges and discounts for empty properties are shown in the table below.

The Empty Property Premium is added when a property has been empty of furniture for 2 years or more and no one is living there.

Type of empty property Discount or charge based on how long your property has been empty
Month 1 ​Months 2-6 ​Months 7-12 ​Year 2 ​Year 3 onwards - Empty Property Premium applies
​Empty properties which are uninhabitable due to major repairs and alterations (class D)​100% discount​25% discount​25% discount​100% charge​200% charge
​Properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished (Class C)​100% discount​25% discount​100% charge​100% charge​200% charge
​Unoccupied and furnished properties, including 2nd homes (class B)​100% charge​100% charge​100% charge​100% charge​100% charge

Can I appeal an empty property charge or discount? 

If you think you've been awarded the wrong discount or charge, you can appeal our decision. To appeal:

  1. You must first appeal in writing to Revenues and Benefits, Floor 1, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU.
  2. We will then reconsider your charge or discount along with any additional information you provide.
  3. We aim to get back to you with a decision about your appeal within 2 months.
  4. If we uphold our original decision and you're still unhappy or if we don't make a decision about your appeal within 2 months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. How to make a Council Tax reduction appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

Discretionary Council Tax Discount Policy - Empty Property Premium Waiver

The Discretionary Council Tax Discount Policy includes information about:

  • Properties that are exempt from the long term empty premium charge.
  • Local discount for members of the armed services.
  • Discretionary power to reduce the premium charge in exceptional circumstances.
Discretionary Council Tax Discount Policy (333kb pdf)

How can I make money from my empty property?

An empty property can attract vandalism and antisocial behaviour. There are ways you can make money from your empty property and there's support available to help you bring your property back into use.


0330 303 8870
Fax: 01706 924185

Phone: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5.30pm.
Closed for training Monday 11am-11.30am.

Finance Services
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU