A number of council departments may need to undertake covert surveillance, for example when investigating benefit fraud or conducting under age sale operations.
This policy outlines how departments can conduct this surveillance. It includes:
- Situations when covert surveillance and techniques can be carried out
- How surveillance can be carried out
- What the process is for getting authorisation to carry out surveillance
- How to keep records and logs of investigations
- What equipment can be used for covert surveillance
In addition to this policy, any surveillance and investigations undertaken by us need to comply with the government's codes of Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIPA) Act 2000.