Rochdale Metropolitan Borough Council
Local Government Act 2000
Local Authorities (Referendums) (Petitions and Directions) (England) Regulations 2011
Statement concerning publication of verification number
The Local Authorities (Referendums) (Petitions) (England) Regulations 2011 (“the Regulations”) make provision in connection with the holding of a referendum, where at least 5 per cent of the local government electorate in a local authority’s area petition the authority for the holding of a referendum on the question of whether the authority should change to a different form of governance.
In accordance with regulation 5 of the Regulations notice is hereby given that:
- The authority’s proper officer has published, as required by regulation 4(1) of the Regulations, the number that is equal to 5 per cent of the number of local government electors shown on the electoral register having effect for the area of Rochdale Council on 15 February 2019.
- The number so published is 8104
- This number will have effect for the purposes of determining the validity of petitions presented in the period 1st April 2019 to 31st March 2020 inclusive, unless as detailed below a different number has effect by virtue of regulation 4(4) of the Regulations.
- Where the number published under regulation 4(1) of the Regulations in any year is less than the number published in the preceding year, the number to be used for verification purposes, in relation to any petition presented to the authority in the period beginning on the date of publication of the lesser number and ending immediately before 1st April in that year, shall be that lesser number.
- The number that will be used for the purposes of determining the validity of petitions presented on or before 31st March 2019 is 8099.
- The address of the authority’s principal office is given below.
Electoral Registration Officer
Number 1 Riverside
Dated this 15th day of February 2019