Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Councillors' allowances

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Although councillors are volunteers and unpaid, they do receive payments to help meet the costs of representing their communities across the 4 townships of Rochdale, Pennines, Heywood and Middleton.​​​

All local councils must pay their members a basic allowance - the same level for all members, which is intended to cover their time commitments and incidental costs. This basic allowance includes an amount to cover all travel they may incur when undertaking duties within the borough, subsistence and a contribution towards land line telephone costs.

Some councillors receive a special responsibility allowance in addition to the basic allowance, for additional responsibilities.

Special responsibilities include being a member of the Cabinet, being a chair of a committee, ​​taking lead responsibility for dealing with particular areas of work, or on being appointed to certain other bodies. Allowances are also paid by the Fire and Rescue Authority and the Greater Manchester Pension Fund Advisory Committee to councillors who are nominated to work with these external bodies. These allowances are paid by the respective authorities - not the council.